The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
grs

Should I replace the fuel pump?

I was thinking of replacing the electric fuel pump on my 87. The hoses going to the tank are real bad. The bed has to come off to replace the hoses, so I thought I might as well replace the pump too. Chevy dealership will do it for two and a half hours labor. They have an AC Delco pump for $79.00. What do you think.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Should I replace the fuel pump?

if youre removing the bed you might as well go for it... but its not that hard taking down a tank if you unblot it from the frame

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
if youre removing the bed you might as well go for it... but its not that hard taking down a tank if you unblot it from the frame
He's right, it isn't hard to take down the tank. There are 8 bolts holding it to the frame and then the ground wire. The hoses should detach themselves if they are in such bad condition if not just slide them off.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
He's right, it isn't hard to take down the tank. There are 8 bolts holding it to the frame and then the ground wire. The hoses should detach themselves if they are in such bad condition if not just slide them off.
Do the wires have a connector that can be pulled apart. There are wires for the ground, gas sender, and the fuel pump. I can't get my hands on top of the gas tank. I will have to buy a new gas filler hose, and what I believe is called an overflow hose. I already took off the plastic rock shield that is under the gas tank. That took a lot of time.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
baclay9

I know that the hourly rate at the dealership here is $93.75. So you are looking at $235+ parts to have them do it. I personally would get some buddies together and pull the bed off. You can buy beers and lunch a lot cheaper.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
I know that the hourly rate at the dealership here is $93.75. So you are looking at $235+ parts to have them do it. I personally would get some buddies together and pull the bed off. You can buy beers and lunch a lot cheaper.
I looked under the truck, and it looks like the gas sender, and fuel pump are under the cab. So the tank will have to be dropped in order to replace the fuel pump.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
baclay9

You can get it out with the bed removed. But, it's up to you. It has always seemed like more work to drop the tank to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
hatzie

Dropping the tank is easy. Getting the hoses back in place as you lift it back on is an SOB. Easier to pull the bed back. Just cut the bed bolts off and install new ones when you put it back on.
4 buddies to lift and set it on the tires and bumper with some carpet to keep the bumper from scratching the crap out of the fenders.
Make sure you loosely tie the wiring to the fuel lines to keep it from getting squashed by the bed when you set it back down.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
crazeetxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
The bed has to come off to replace the hoses, so I thought I might as well replace the pump too.
Might as well. It's already accessible and it's only $79 for some preventive maintenance that's going to make your kick your self in the *** if you don't do it and have to replace it in 6 months anyway.
crazeetxn is offline   Reply With Quote