The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
luvbowties

Question Help. Will these parts work in a 1966 c10?

Hey all. Been gone awhile, but still plugging! I've long ago done my 1966 and don't recall exact years I used as donors for disc, 5-lugs, differentials, etc. Good friend just bought his starter, a 1965 C10 w/old 6 cyl et al. He wants to update his truck with v8/auto & all the goodies to use for a daily driver. I have what I can sell him--an honest 77000-mile chevy 20 series van w/5-lugs plus all the goodies he wants; he would have an ALL-in-1 pkg if the stuff will adapt.

He has a well-equipped shop, is a pipefitter/welder and knows how to use all his stuff including lathe,milling machine, mig and heliarc welders. But I don't wanna sell him what won't fit or adapt easily. He has driven/checked the van--really too nice to part out--yet he's a friend & this would provide him with a drive train he now knows can be swapped-and-driven w/out ANY repairs. Will this be a good purchase for him, somewhere around $15-2000; it has the eng/trans combo plus possibly all the other stuff--373 diff'l, 350 v8, 700R4, tilt column, pdbrakes, 5-lug axles/rotors, p-steering, cold ac, hd sway bar, etc--every option he wants to put in his truck.

I've told him I think he will need to buy a ps gearbox, as I've heard the van boxes turn backwards from pickups.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge/help.
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Help. Will these parts work in a 1966 c10?

Here’s an earlier thread regarding a van suspension that may help:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=van+front+end
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
luvbowties

Thanks, markeb01. Based on the thread you provided, it looks as tho' the '88 van would offer little other than the engine, trans, ps pump, tilt column, and ac compressor. And that would not be enough to justify even the least price I'd have to charge him. Oh, well, just a thought. BTW: it did have the correct 5-on-5-inch bolt pattern!

I do know that had I to redo mine, I'd look far and wide to find a running, testable(AND adaptable!) donor vehicle even if I had to pay somewhat a premium--just to have all the needed stuff in ONE place and know in advance that I had components NOT needing rebuilding!
Thx again for your help. I'll provide him with the thread you just pointed me to.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The van control arms, spindles, rotors, etc. will still work. But due to the wider track width of a van, the front crossmember won't work and the rear differential will be too wide. And yes the van steering box will turn opposite.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote