The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2003, 04:56 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

OEM paint color....

Does anyone have a good match for the OEM black that's under the hood. What I am looking for is the right sheen for the breather, and fender liners.

I have 9 cans of different brands and types of satin, semi-gloss, flat, etc. None of them come close. I know Eastwood sells the right stuff, but I am trying to paint my breather base now.

Anyone...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You're more than likely out of luck trying to find any of the right color local. Eastwood is, as you know, your best bet. But it's not a now type of thing. You need to start thinking a week or so ahead.

This reminds me when I was trying to find Chevy Ralley silver wheel paint. Forget about it. Had to buy it from Eastwood.

On another note, while I have you here. I just wanted to say it sure is nice having you posting regular again. I guess all it took was for you to buy another truck, right?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:47 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike, yeah I know. I "should" have ordered all my stuff from Eastwood a few weeks ago. I didn't realize I was going to have to paint the breather base though. It looked pretty nice already. I needed to replace a sticker on the side of it though.

I ordered the right one from LMC, only to find that the one on there was from a car, and larger than the replacement. Of course the breather base got all buggered up getting the old sticker off, so I decided to sand it and paint it. Big Mistake!

I appreciate the welcome back. No need to rehash old war stories, but if you notice I signed on here a long time ago. It was pretty dead then, so I migrated over to the "other" site. I liked it there, and that was my GM home until things got ugly. After that deal, I left there, and wondered around different forums.

Recently, I have spent most of my time on the Harley truck forums, learning about that truck. Just like here, I meet a great bunch of truck nuts on there. Same great guys, just a different brand.

Since I bought the 77, I felt more like I had something to talk about on here again. Now I feel like I have a reason to be here...
Old 09-06-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
C-10volvo

imagine all the money lmc has gotten from all the users on this board. ive spent atleast a good 500 to them. why dont we get a discount!?
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by C-10volvo
...why dont we get a discount!?
The h@ll with a discount. For once, I would like to get the correct part. What they show in the pics, and what you actually get aren't always (ever?) the same.

The jack instruction sticker I bought "looked" the same as mine. When I got it here and inspected it closely, it was for an earlier model. Yeah, it will work, but it's not "correct".

I wish there was another source for some of these things....
Old 09-06-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I for one, refuse to buy anything else from LMC. I got tired of buying something from them to later find out I could still get it at the dealer and cheaper.

Just a bit of advise, try the dealer first on some of these parts. You might just be surprised at how much cheaper they are over LMC.

Oh, I do know some stuff the dealer just don't have, like jack stickers. I don't want one anyway though. Heck, I couldn't wait to get my jack and sticker out of the way. But, I'm not as anal as some folks are. :p
Old 09-07-2003, 06:32 AM   #7
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
I'm not as anal as some folks are.

who are you trying to kid
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:29 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike, I agree that LMC sucks for the most part. I just find myself lured back beacuse I can research what I want, and order it without going to the dealership.

I experienced first hand the dealer vs LMC price difference. At LMC a stock battery tray for my Blazer was 69.95. I bought one from the dealer for about 30.00 with my discount.

The problem is, I have to GO to the dealer, and show them what I want. I rarely have time to go by the dealer, and I do have time to order from LMC, because I can do that while going down the road. Sometimes we pay the price for success.

The 77 is unique to me. I have NEVER bought a vehicle that I kept stock. My mission was always to modify it as fast, and as much as I could. While I certainly haven't kept the 77 stock, I plan to keep with the resto theme "for now".

I would LOVE to rip all those hoses, and wires out to re-route them or remove them. The problem is, if I get started, I won't stop till I'm satisfied. According to my wife I am never satisfied.

Don't let the anal label bother you. I am told I am anal too. I were the title with pride. The only problem I have is when I can't tell if the really think I am anal, or it's another way of calling me an @ss hole...
Old 09-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
The only problem I have is when I can't tell if the really think I am anal, or it's another way of calling me an @ss hole...
Ken,

you crack me up sometimes. I've had this thought process myself. I remember the first time I heard someone use the term anal, I thought why not just go ahead and call him an ahole and be done with it. Of course being nothing but a country boy, it took me a while to figure out it was another way of calling someone a perfectionist. Personally, I don't think I'm a perfectionist, but I do have this thing to where it is going to be the way I want it or not at all. Is this being anal??

I never could take the term, good enough. What is good enough supposed to mean? Good enough is like saying, it will pass, it will do for now, etc. Heck, do it right the first time and forget about it, I always say.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:26 PM   #10
C-10volvo

i agree with ken. at least when it comes to cars, every little thing has to looks right and be perfect. just look at my volvo. that took 3 years of non stop bodywork. my dad and i welded a whole non rusted out trunk section and even got it to look perfect. Anyways getting back to LMC. everything that i have gotten from LMC had worked right, but things like the hei cap was gray not black, and didn’t work with the clip that hold the plugs in from top. also the new plug wires didn’t have the knobs for the top clip. sure i put them on, but its not really what i wanted.
Anyways i think we should start a ken club. there’s at least 3 roaming around in here haha

whatever mike, if we weren’t all "anal" (haha) our batteries would be strapped on with twine. i guess take being anal as a compliment when it comes to cars.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3

Last edited by C-10volvo; 09-07-2003 at 01:33 PM.
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:44 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yeah, it looks like we are in the same "A" group. I have always had the feeling that if I do something, I should be able to sign my name on it.

My Dad instilled this in me at a young age. He said either do the job right, or don't do it at all. Unfortunately, that works against me too. I procrastinate many times just because I know I can't do a job to my level of standards.

What's worse is you come to expect it from others. In todays times this can be very frustrating...