The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Jackie Mac

Bad motor mounts

I have a bad "shivering" in the mid to front area of my 86 chevy 305. It happens when I start on an incline and shakes like crazy until I back off of my accelarator. I replaced the U joints to no effect so I am thinking that its probably the Motor mounts. I think if it was the ball joints, it would shake all the time. What do you guys think? Thanks much in advance. Joe
Jackie Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
silverbullet01

Re: Bad motor mounts

could be a bent driveshaft. or rear end. i personally wouldnt bet on a motor mount..
Posted via Mobile Device
silverbullet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

or the center bearing on a two piece driveshaft

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
donut

Bad ball joints may not shake all the time, I've had them check out bad before the shakes start. (usually when I try to catch them.)
Pop the hood, start the truck, put it in gear (e-brake on) give it a little gas. If engine flops like a fish, your mounts are gone. Ok, I look for excessive movement when the engine tries to torque over, also listen. mounts may "clunk" when the engine settles back onto the mount.
My as well check the tranny mount while your looking, at least rule it out. How's the trans. shifting?

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Jackie Mac

I didn't think of the trans mount. I recently took out the trans to replace the ring gear. The mount may be loose/wore out. the drive shaft looks straight( I will put a straight edge on it to make sure). The engine doesn,t move around much at all when I hit the accelerator with it in gear, so it may not be the mounts. I think since the trans. mount is easy to replace, I will go ahead and do that first. Thanks much, I will post results when I finish.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Jackie Mac

Re: Bad motor mounts/ Trans. Mount Resolved

The Problem Was the transmission mount. The Truck even feels like it has more power no and with NO SHUDDERING!!! Thanks a Million, Joe