The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
86 K-10

motor installed...now maybe 700r4 issue

i got my new 350 installed, went for the first drive and im thinking i have a tranny issue. transmission seemed to be shifting fine beforehand...i did spill about 1/2 quart after i disconnected the cooler lines (which i replaced).

i REALLY have to mash the gas in order for it to move and when it does shift, it's VERY soft...it feels like it's low on fluid, but the fluid level is good.

i have all the appropriate tv cable brackets and adjusted the cable exactly like it's supposed to be and the geometry looks fine.

i did disconnect a buch of wires, but im pretty sure i got all the necessary ones plugged back in...there is a large diameter vacum line coming out of the cab that i have not hooked back up, but i think it went to the cruise control.

the low pressure lockup switch is connected as is the other lockup switch.

86 k10 originally with a 305, 700r4 and all the emissions equipment.
86 K-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
LOW 7FO

Re: motor installed...now maybe 700r4 issue

torque converter?? Was it new or used and what's the stall speed? If you are sure everything is correct I'd start there. I know I put in a "off brand" converter in my old truck and it gave it that "marshmallow effect". Changed to a TCI and problem solved.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
beamn7

Double check the TV cable. Push the tab down and slide the adjusting housing all the way back towards the firewall, release the tab and then go in the truck and push the gas to the floor once without the truck running. You should hear it clicking as you are stepping on the gas.
That's the factory setting....
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
LOW 7FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamn7 View Post
Double check the TV cable. Push the tab down and slide the adjusting housing all the way back towards the firewall, release the tab and then go in the truck and push the gas to the floor once without the truck running. You should hear it clicking as you are stepping on the gas.
But make sure your gas peddle is giving you full throttle! Push it to the floor and have someone throttle the linkage by hand at the motor (yes engine OFF) If it moves that is a problem that should be fixed. When I swapped my 700r4 i had this issue and it never "seemed" right. Installed a Lokar cable and problem solved Thanks for reminding me! And I just read that the 700r4 was already in there so the TC shouldn't be an issue
Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
86 K-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW 7FO View Post
torque converter?? Was it new or used and what's the stall speed? If you are sure everything is correct I'd start there. I know I put in a "off brand" converter in my old truck and it gave it that "marshmallow effect". Changed to a TCI and problem solved.
A high stall tci is exactly what I think it feels like, only the power doesn't pick up... it was shifting and running fine before I put the motor on there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
86 K-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamn7 View Post
I set it like that when i hooked it up. I have one of those throttle brackets with the springs up front...I have the tv cable bracket about half way up the slot and it is connected to the holley geometry corrector. I'll take a picture of it once I get home
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
rs72z

Did you have any trouble bolting the converter up?

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
86 K-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs72z View Post
Did you have any trouble bolting the converter up?
not any that made me stop and think...but i've only put a motor in once before this. here's what i did:

1. lowered motor in
2. lined up the pins on the bellhousing
3. tightened the bellhousing bolts and motor mounts
4. lined up the welded nuts on the TC with the holes in the flexplate and tightened them.

it didnt really give me any issues tightening / lining up...but i just read another post about "working the converter out until the nose piece inserts into the crankshaft". what exactly does that mean? cause all i did was tighten the flexplate to TC bolts down...
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
LOW 7FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 K-10 View Post
not any that made me stop and think...but i've only put a motor in once before this. here's what i did:

1. lowered motor in
2. lined up the pins on the bellhousing
3. tightened the bellhousing bolts and motor mounts
4. lined up the welded nuts on the TC with the holes in the flexplate and tightened them.

it didnt really give me any issues tightening / lining up...but i just read another post about "working the converter out until the nose piece inserts into the crankshaft". what exactly does that mean? cause all i did was tighten the flexplate to TC bolts down...
I think it meant spinning the converter by hand and pushing it towards the trans until it "seats" all the way. Then tighten the bolts to the flex plate and TC. The welds on the flex plate should face towards the engine (the lip on the flex plate where it bolts to the crank should face towards the trans). The flex plate does not insert into the crank shaft, but rather to the input shaft on the trans. Hope your problem gets resolved soon!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
86 K-10

worked on the truck this afternoon, so i have some updates. i confirmed:
1. the tv cable is correctly installed as per factory settings.
2. the throttle cable is appropriately adjusted.
3. the TC/flexplate was correctly installed.

i drove the truck around a good bit and shifted through the gears several times manually. the truck DOES have power in 1st, however when shifting from 1st to Drive it shifts immediately to 2nd and is a VERY soft shift from 1-2 and from 2-3. it will downshift pretty firmly down to 2, but never really goes to 1 unless i manually shift it there. i also did a 3/4 WOT run and the motor just wound out but never really gained it's footing... and i also developed at exhaust leak.

the best part: i put it in drive and held the brake for about 10 seconds( i had a reason for trying it at the time, but it has escaped me ) and the air box inside the cab caught FIRE and i really have no idea why. there was a dent and a couple holes on the firewall above the header in the area where it caught fire, so i suppose that had something to do with it. luckily i was in front of the house and had a water hose nearby.

uh, fml...any suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
LOW 7FO

I am out of ideas...sorry!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
86 K-10

took off the dust cover, unbolted the TC. it does spin freely when not connected to the flexplate, but it seemed a little too far away, so i shimmed it a little and bolted it back up. no effect.

i tried running it with the tv cable pulled tight. no effect really, just wouldnt shift out of 1st at all.

guess it's time to either take it to a transmission shop, or just order a new one. fml
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
86 K-10

i may have found a 4L60...this would be a completely bolt on swap correct?

he says it's not electronic, but if it were what would i need to make it work?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
joe231

4L60 and 700R4 are the same transmission
4L60E is different. It's electronically controlled and needs a computer or aftermarket controller.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
86 K-10

i decided to just do some driving with the tranny issues....

my first evaluation of the issue was incorrect. the tranny does actually start off in first gear, but it changes to 2nd really fast and it's a very long and soft shift. 2-3 seems fine as well as into OD. downshifts are firm to 2nd and it doesnt seem to go to 1 when coming to a stop. no doubt there is something going on with the tranny, but these problems couldve been there to begin with.

the main problem is the lack of power (hence feeling like the tranny is out of fluid). i changed from the 305 to a 350 so i was really expecting a huge difference, and it just seems like a total dog when picking up speed.

this week i'll be checking the timing gears and re-installing the dizzy. any other suggestions are appreciated
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

[QUOTE=86 K-10;5253954]...there is a large diameter vacum line coming out of the cab that i have not hooked back up, but i think it went to the cruise control.

but all hoses/lines to carb/intakr are plugged or used
i found a huge split in my(79) 3/8ths hose to the canister,open on the bottom
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote