The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which Option
Heads, Cam, Intake, etc. 0 0%
Base 383 Crate Engine 4 28.57%
Dresses 383 Crate Engine 1 7.14%
Rebuild My 350 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Will Bell

Motor Options?

As some of you may know I have a 70 C/10 with a mild 350 smallblock. I love driving it every day to school, but I want a little more power. I found a kit from Summit that has aluminum heads, intake, cam, and etc. that is supposed to give a 350 410hp for about $1500 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-K-355-400/. I also found a Bluepoint crate engine that is a 383 that is supposed to make 420hp http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP3834CT1/. There is also a almost completed version for about $1000 more http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP3834CTC1/.
I have also considered getting my 350 rebuilt, but I don't know if that would be the best way to go. What would you guys do?
Will Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Motor Options?

Not exactly an easy question. What is your motor now like? New heads and a cam won't help a worn out engine. Is it an original steel crank four bolt main or a targetmaster replacement? 383s are nice and crates are simple. A warranty can be a good thing or a pita. Just going for a HP vs $$$ number isn't usually the most reliable engine.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
jocko

keep & rebuild that original 350, it's only original once as they say. If it's not the original 350 - I'd choose between the top end upgrade and the crate depending on current engine's health like Tim pointed out vs. what you assess your current technical skills and tools are. Rebuild will require some know-how - but there's NO better way to gain that know-how than to actually dive in and do it. You'd get more personal satisfaction out of rebuilding the current 350 - and I think that is what you're seeing reflected in the poll so far. You can't go wrong with any of those options.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
lpaine

How about the L-31 shortblock from White Performance (on E-Bay) It has the 1 piece rear main oil seal and roller cam ready for about $1,300 if I'm not mistaken. A set of good iron heads/cam etc. and you've got an engine great for a daily driver that'll last along time.I think it is a G.M. performance piece. Just my .02 worth.
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
dukcaln

base 383 is good but I like the idea now that i THINK about it to rebuild your 350
Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

If its a daily driver then you probably don't want to rebuild your original engine. It takes a while to get done. If it needs machining (it probably will) the delay will be longer. It's not exactly cheaper depending on your experience or if you have to pay someone to build it, and if it's not an experienced builder then reliability might be a problem. In your situation a good crate engine is probably the smart choice.

I have rebuilt my own engines and I'm definitely not against doing that, but plan on it being down for a while if you go that route. Even the top end kit could result in a longer than expected downtime. Depends on what you find when you get into it. An engine swap can be done easily in a day.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
RexDodge

I voted for rebuilding your own. For me, nothing is more satisfying than doing it yourself. You will know exactly what you have. I've torn down a few crate engines with low miles and issues. A lot of them seem to be rebuilt with less than desirable parts. But as others have said, plan for more down time than slamming a crate motor in...but it is so worth it. Have fun!
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote