The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
lil hoodlum

Re: Jumping the starter solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern parts View Post
clean all of the ends of the wires that go to the junction box on the passenger fender.
I have been having issues with my starter as well. I would turn the key and hear a "click" from the starter motor. I would have to do it several times to get the engine started. Sometimes though, I would have to jump the starter solenoid.

I had replace the starter with a reman unit. Worked for awhile then problem came back.

I also installed a new ignition switch within the last year. I had an old started rebuilt thinking again the problem was the starter. I installed the rebuilt unit and what do you know, it still did the same thing. I was pissed. I drove to O'rielys and had them test the old starter, it passed with flying colors. Next I had them test my battery. It was fully charged.

I knew then that it was the ignition switch or the associated wiring. I purchased a new ignition switch. Before replacing the switch, I decided to clean all of the wiring first. I used a No flash electro contact cleaner in a spray can. My purple wire to the starter has 2 butt splices in it for a kill switch that I used to run but took out because of problems with it. I sprayed the contact cleaner at both butt joints of the purple wire and also undid the junction box and sprayed all of the connections inside. There was a "little" corrosion but not much.

I wired everything back together and tried starting the truck again. Well what do you know, it starts now just like it should.

Southern parts has the correct advice, if replacing the igntion switch and started motor do not help, clean all of the connections inside of the junction box on the firewall.

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote