The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
tommcc

Removing Auxiliary Gas tanks

This is my first post.

I have a 69 Chevey C-10/K-10 with 3 gas tanks, two under the bed on opposite sides. I want to remove the old trim on the bed sides (so I can do some body work and reinstall new trip later). It looks like the lower trip is bolted, so I guess I have to remove the two auxiliary tanks to get access. Is that right?

I also plan to remove the bed and do prep work for painting, but it also looks like I can't get to the bed bolts until the auxiliary gas tanks are removed. Correct?

How difficult a job is that? I'm a novice, but hardheaded enough try to remove the tanks myself unless it would just be agonizing and too time-consuming. Or, should I just take it somewhere and have them removed? What should I expect to pay for that?
tommcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
72K20
Slow Old Timer

Re: Removing Auxiliary Gas tanks

On my 72K20, they were installed with a long carraige bolt type mechanism that went through a tube in each auxiliary tank and then bolted into the bed floor. If your's are like mine, I had to cut off the heads in the bed and then drop the tanks from underneath. Mine were plumbed to a three way valve, mounted in the floor to the left of the driver seat that I also had to replumb (obviously). Not sure if this helps or not....

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcc View Post
This is my first post.

I have a 69 Chevey C-10/K-10 with 3 gas tanks, two under the bed on opposite sides. I want to remove the old trim on the bed sides (so I can do some body work and reinstall new trip later). It looks like the lower trip is bolted, so I guess I have to remove the two auxiliary tanks to get access. Is that right?

I also plan to remove the bed and do prep work for painting, but it also looks like I can't get to the bed bolts until the auxiliary gas tanks are removed. Correct?

How difficult a job is that? I'm a novice, but hardheaded enough try to remove the tanks myself unless it would just be agonizing and too time-consuming. Or, should I just take it somewhere and have them removed? What should I expect to pay for that?
72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Daddy Brim

Re: Removing Auxiliary Gas tanks

First Welcome from Clovis. Remove the gas if it is possible If you are still driving you will need to do something with the gas lines. Put a floor jack under tank to support while you remove bolts, straps, whatever is holding it in place. Don't forget the filler tube it will need to be loosened, removed depending on your application.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote