The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
MikeS.

I need some suggestions

By now most of you have seen where I have a 63 4x4 Burb coming to me from WA to WVa.

I want to upgrade the stock drums to disc, conversion kits seem to be out because of the 4x4. So reading here a 71-? axle swap would be my best bet.

So from 71 to what year? For a 4x4 axle with drum brakes.

What year axle do y'all recommend? Do I need to pay attention to gear ratio in the front diff?

Where is a good reliable place for repo front fenders? The same for a gas tank and electrical harness. I might wind up rewiring the entire rig, I'll know more once I get it here.

Thanks.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: I need some suggestions

LMC has some nice wiring. I never seen and repop fenders.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Shooters_7

I'd go with a Dana 60 / 14 Bolt axle conversion. You can put disc brakes on the 14 Bolt rear axle without any issues and will need to change out your booster. Thats just me! As for wiring I'd go with american autowire. Easy to install!
Shooters_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There's no need for a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt unless you are going to be putting some serious power to them with some big tires as well. If the 1/2 ton differentials will work for your useage, then a '71-'79 Dana 44 from a K5 or K10 would be my first choice. My second choice would be a 8.5 10 bolt front differential from a '80-'87, K5 or K10 or up thru '91 in the V1500 series. And yes you will have to get one with the corresponding gear ratio to match the 12 bolt in the rear. If the rear differential has 3.73's then the front should be a 3.72 or 3.73 gear. The front gear ratio needs to be either the exact same as the rear or just slightly higher geared so that the front is pulling a slight bit faster than the rear.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
63burban4x4

To update my 63 4x4, I picked up a '78 K-10 4x4 frame....paid $300....got the front & rear axles, (front discs) the PS box (see cap'nFab for the adapter plate, worked fine, although the bolts to the frame must be different for the 4WD, the template did not seem to match, as I think he designs these for 2WD, is that right, cap'n? Still got it installed just fine.) Font axle went in like buttah, just needed new u-bolts (take the ones with you from the later axle, to any spring shop, the'll match 'em up) Drag link hooked right up, didn't even need to adjust any. It will provide me with a better gear ratio, (went from 3:93 to 3:73) I also took the front sway bar from the '78, although I haven't installed it yet. My truck is not on the road, I still need to change out the rear. The later K-10's are quite plentiful, at least here in New England, the small junk yard I use has at least 3 or 4 of 'em. An automatic truck will perhaps have a higher gear ratio than a standard, I think. Good luck, it's a pretty easy changeover!
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
MikeS.

I bought complete front&rear axles from an '87 4x4 Suburban today. Including the springs and shocks. Matching 3.73 diffs.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
63burban4x4

[QUOTE=MikeS.

Where is a good reliable place for repo front fenders? The same for a gas tank and electrical harness. I might wind up rewiring the entire rig, I'll know more once I get it here.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Mike,
congrats on getting yer axles. did u happen to grab the front sway bar also? I think you'll find the 87 u-bolt plates will have provision to bolt that to them....
I used the 63 springs. As you know, the 87 mounts above the spring, the 63 below.

I'd also be interested in any info on a replacement gas tank.....I don't think they are available, but I don't know for sure. Awhile back, my son had a 65 suburban, my brother replaced that tank with a plastic one from a full size F*** Bronco.
I haven't gotten to checking mine out yet in my 63, since I've never had it up and running. It does not seem to have a stock tank, actually looks like something someone welded up themselves, heavy steel with square welded corners & seams. At first glance I thought it was actually a skid plate someone made, turns out it's a tank!
I hope to, once I get to working on the fuel system, check out or replace that tank, and I'd like to add a second tank for long road trips, and to take advantage of the occasional low price gas I might run across. I did pick up a complete side door filler, with the filler neck, from a junk suburban, I hope to be able to use it for the future second tank. I cut that out of the junk truck with the surrounding sheet metal, so I should be able to install it anywhere in the side of my truck where the filler pipe will clear to access a tank. I think the second tank will be much easier in a 4x4, lots of room between the floor deck & the running gear.
(note to fleetside pickup guys, seems to me, one of these suburban filler doors could work for an underbed tank conversion?)

Last edited by 63burban4x4; 06-23-2012 at 06:53 AM.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote