The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
mknittle

Bear claws with thrn down handles?

I did a search and can't find any info on using bearclaws on the 47-50 doors. some body has to have don it.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Bear claws with thrn down handles?

I can't see why it won't work but you will have to fab your own linkage. You will probably have to study how the stock setup worked and figure out the linkage that you need to make it work.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
fullup12

The Speedway catalog has a "Bear-jaw" kit for 47-51 trucks.
fullup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
bwilli2

Trique makes Altman Easy Latch kits. (The kit Speedway sells) Lots of folks have used them on the forum.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=520589

http://www.triquemfg.com/Altman_Easy_Latch_Kits.html

Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullup12 View Post
The Speedway catalog has a "Bear-jaw" kit for 47-51 trucks.
Nice but too much dinero at 350 bucks.

Thanks Mark

My GMC build.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
robin58

If your only concern with the stock door lock mechanism is the fact they can (and do) have a habit of suddenly opening, a cheaper method would be to use a safety deadlock pin like is used when you suicide a door. Autoloc sells some as do others.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
mknittle

altman is a gerat set up but too expencive for me right now. That $350.00 would do more good in other parts.

My dad gave me a pair of Petrebilt latches that look like they would be easy to adapt.

I am thinking maybe strip the stock latches and useparts of the lock and parts that support the handle on the inside. I am not sure, Is there a return sprins in the stock latch to keep the handle from saging?

Sort of make a replacment that uses the stock mounting. We will see

My GMC build.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
mr48chev

I've had Kenworth/Peterbilt latches on my 48 since 1981. They cost about 8 bucks each over the counter then but you had to build your own mechanism to operate them. They do take a bit of work to mount but worked great for a lot of years.

I think that a guy might be able to look through a Kenworth or Peterbilt parts catalog and find most of the pieces for the linkage and they might be fairly reasonable.

Back to the original question, They would go on the door the same as they would on the 53 and later doors but you a guy would have to figure out how to operate the linkage with a turn down door handle. I don't think it would be that hard to do though.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've had Kenworth/Peterbilt latches on my 48 since 1981. They cost about 8 bucks each over the counter then but you had to build your own mechanism to operate them. They do take a bit of work to mount but worked great for a lot of years.

I think that a guy might be able to look through a Kenworth or Peterbilt parts catalog and find most of the pieces for the linkage and they might be fairly reasonable.

Back to the original question, They would go on the door the same as they would on the 53 and later doors but you a guy would have to figure out how to operate the linkage with a turn down door handle. I don't think it would be that hard to do though.
It's harder than you think. I bought AutoLock bear claws for mine, had them mounted in the doors and spent months thinking about the best way to make the turn down handles work. Then I gave up, did a cost/benefit analysis and ordered the Altman latches. I then had to return my doors back to stock so I could mount the new latches in them, but it was worth it.

Here are some of my observations:
- the factory latches do have a spring that return the handles to the horizontal position
- the factory latches support the back end of the square part of the handle (inside the door). You have to support this somehow or they will flop all over.
- you have to get around the window track while the window is down. This can be done by linkages and a cantilever setup, but gets complicated.

Altman had all this figured out, and I spent some time studying the latches when I got them to see how they did it. I was impressed with how they did it, and how clean they kept it. I could have undoubtedly got my setup to work, but it wasn't worth the time and effort it would have taken. If I were to switch to pushbutton handles or to shave the handles it would have been much easier, but I didn't want to do either.

Happy customer of Altman easy latches....

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
mr48chev

One of my buddies who has a 48 pickup with shaved door handles put the striker pin on the door and the latch in the door jamb and it worked out pretty well. That won't work if you don't have shaved door handles though.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

Thanks mr48 My dad found the ones we gave me. They are brand new. and I have been tinkering with a stock latch, like you said and a plan is forming.

At this point I am thinking that I can remove the exturnal parts from the stock latch and retain the main frame for support for the handle on the inside and the return spring. I also think the stock lock can be used. the door and maybe the jam will need some changes.

the doors are going on a 53 so it is a good time to do it

My GMC build.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
mknittle

Altman sure has a lot of satified customers.

I already have the parts and I know i can make it work. as bluejeep said the support and spring along with the window track are problems. My problem is I like solving problems.

My GMC build.

Last edited by mknittle; 06-24-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Altman sure has a lot of satified customers.

I already have the parts and I know i can make it work. as bluejeep said the support and spring along with the window track are problems. My problem is I like solving problems.
Good luck and post pictures of your progress! A lot of the factory latches are just metal rotating inside metal, so try not to over-think it there. A little grease on the parts and they should last for years. Also what I looked into (and bought) were those plastic clips that snap onto the rods and into the hole in later model style latches. It was my intent to take some 3/16" rod and use those clips with a cantilever-type setup down below the window level to get from one side of the window to the other. First thought was those little baby heim joints, but there the price adds up quickly.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
mknittle

i monkeyed around with a rusty crusty old latch this afternoon I cut the parts that stick out through the door jam and the linkage behind them. I was happy to find that both inside and oitside locks still work. So I decided to take it farther apart. I have a couple ideas about a linkage we will see what happens. Iam mostly working on my rear suspension now.

My GMC build.