The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
67chevy1series

Re: 1970 front positrac

^^^thats a good idea!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #27
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp9124 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts about these wheels on this truck?
Sorry, But no. This should, as nice as it is, be brought back even more to stock. White steel wheels with/without caps. They don't have to be pizza cutters. Wide base wheels look really great and period as well. Now all we need to do is dig up a source for a red custom cloth seat cover for you. The last picture in the group at post #12 remined me of a classic ad you might not have seen, so here it is.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts about these wheels on this truck?
Well,since you asked...I hate wheels like that. Where did the rim go? They look like a cooling fan instead of a wheel. Wheel companies work themselves to death to keep coming up with some new trend ,I guess,to attempt to keep the public interested. At least,that's the usual reason companies change things just for the sake of change. Why mess with perfection? The best looking wheels were made years ago when the best looking vehicles were made. That's why I stick with period-correct wheels. Anything newer that looked decent (Alcoa 5-spoke,Weld Outback & Sidewinder,M/T Challenger) they made a short while then dropped. It makes no sense. All those wheels were easy to clean,too. I hate wheels with superficial nooks,crannies,nubs,rivets,bolts,etc that serve no function. I think those white spoke wheels look better than most of the crap offered today. They do more for the truck. It's been long enough that these aren't on every other truck on the road that it's time to take another look at them as period-correct. Try adding beauty rings. I have a blue '72 K/20 with white top and it looked great with that set-up. Chrome spokes would look awesome. I'd go wider,though. I never went with chrome spokes because I knew the chrome wouldn't hold up. But,today,with these trucks being babied that's not an issue. You can also use '90s center caps on wagon wheels to set them off. Wide steelies,aluminum slots,wagon wheels,and finned aluminum (Vector,Hurricane,Turbine,etc) are what looks best on these. And,don't forget rallye wheels. Maybe white rallyes would stand out nicely. These trucks have class and nothing says class like "not" following current trend band wagons.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
jp9124

wow, thanks for the input everyone. I can understand everyones opinions to want to see the truck more original. That being said, this trucks not going back to stock wheels for a long time and rallys are for my dads 72 C/10. It's been had to find modern wheel options for the 6 lug that aren't what I consider too ridiculous, overly black, won't show too much of the drums, and remind me of 90's wheels.

I was really leaning toward torq thrusts but I don't think they look right unless I convert to 5 lug. When I finally found the truck I wanted (not too nice or orginal to use every day) I vowed to myself that this would not become too much of a project since I currently have too many of those I don't have time for. I know some of you might think I'm mailing it in slapping on a modern set of wheels. All I can say about that is, its not permanent and can easily be changed in the future should I decide to go more original or *cough* old man

I'm open to suggestions for other modern wheels, I can tell you I am leaning heavily towards black and aluminum with more aluminum than black. Also, I see that I have mentioned dads 72, I know, I know, you all want to see pics of it now don't you? I will get the camera out someday this week and get some up. Thanks all for your input.
jp9124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
special-K
Special Order

I know a lot of younger people with good taste who like rallye wheels. Young bucks can learn a lot from older guys. They've been there,done that and after seeing fads come and go they learn what works and what lasts. That's the definition of classic. Just so you know,I'm not old,I'm only 56. But,I have learned a lot from the old guys. Torque thrusts are very classy and period correct car wheels that also look good on 2wd trucks. They make 6-lugs,but they would never fit the 4wd hub...thank God . There are nice modern wheels. I'm not saying you have to do what I think. Again,you asked and these are my suggestions,since you seem to only want current styles. I looked at 4WPW and have suggestions based on their inventory. As far as steel goes,I really do think some 10" chrome spokes would look awesome. With the white top you need to stay away from black. Black wheels would look great if you painted the top red. I think the Series 87 Rock Crawlers (4wpw) would look good painted white. M/T Classic IIs always look good but have been common sights for a long time. Pro Comp Extreme Alloy 1059s look good except for the pocks in the bead. I'm reverting back a few years and making an exception to suggest AR23s,a wheel that always looks good.
Heck,just go to www.4wheelparts.com and search for 6 on 5.5 wheels. I put in 16" diameter

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #31
jp9124

you know special K, your like a jedi mind reader, AR23's were on the short list for all aluminum and I have heard some feedback about the white top and black on the wheels. Just when a guy has his mind about made up.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

You mean Yoda? (Some say I kinda look like him)
I guess black wheels wouldn't look awful,cuz black wheels are just black wheels...they're just there not trying to be anything. But,as far as color schemes go,not introducing another color,or getting more "busy" goes,there are better choices. I just like a five spoke wheel. It seems more stout and gives a nice effect while turning. Traditional "mags" were all five spokes. makes sense,too,since cars were all 5-lug. But 6 and 8 lugs good great with 5 spokes/holes/slots. I really like aluminum slots with 8-lug...more than 5 or 6. Those AR23s would look nice. I had some on a '95 K3500,then put them on my '72 K/20. I originally had the Weld Outbacks until one wheel took a crap on me. Those would be perfect on your truck if you could find them. They have 6 slots and a lot of people say they look like the F350 wheels from a few years back,except they have 5 slots

Tim

Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #33
leddzepp

Nice truck! It is yours, put whatever wheels you want on it. Slots, rallies, steelies, anything period correct looks good on these trucks. If you want to go with a "modern" wheel, go for it. It's not like you can't change them.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #34
jp9124

well, good news/bad news at least it's not no news. As far as I can tell, the current wheels are 3 and 3/4 in backspacing. the modern wheels I want are 4.5 in backspacing. With my unscientific measuring, I do not have an extra 3/4 in before I am hitting the tie rods, maybe 1/2 in.

Do any of you know the maximum backspacing I can use? I guess maybe I should have thought of this sooner......
Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #35
SS Tim

These later GM wheels would look good on your truck. Pretty sure someone over on the squarebody board could hook you up with a set and caps. But there is a retail choice as well.

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selec...el=&type=&id=1
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #36
67swb72klb

very nice (rare w/the front posi) truck i like the 15x8 steel with d/d stainless caps or some rallys or some slots myself
but its yours so do what you want
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #37
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Do any of you know the maximum backspacing I can use? I guess maybe I should have thought of this sooner......
I wish I could give you a cast in stone limit on backspacing. I know hewer vehicles started using more. Back in the day we never gave backpacing a thought. It never came up because just about every creation out there took the same amount. I can say that 4" is the nominal figure. But,That doesn't help. I'd say it's hard to believe things are that close tolerance. Consider one thing,though...Are these wheels you're considering 15" or are they a larger diameter? That may be the difference in clearance.

Tim

Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #38
jp9124

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Consider one thing,though...Are these wheels you're considering 15" or are they a larger diameter? That may be the difference in clearance.
They are 16", I decided to pull the trigger today and order them. Hoping they clear with the larger wheel, it may be tight but if they do not clear the tie rods, I will probably find some type of spacer.