The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #26
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Re: Got in Trouble This Weekend

well at least you know how much it's off we all are guilty of breaking laws everyday driving so do feel to bad about it.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #27
Pont406

Follow derections on the back of a ticket. There is a web address. After 2 weeks it will be posted on line. Check on line first, you might be ok for a traffic school.
Tickets are a big time revenue for them. Somebody gotta pay for all crazy overtime and stuff. I feel bad for you. I got a speeding ticket a while ago myself. Good luck.
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #28
ole dollor

sorry to hear what happened to you...i use a G.P.S when in doubt . ole dollar is about 17 mph slow...so i use on a lot....cheaper than a speeding ticket, i would probably have gave you a ticket also....but i am retired now...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #29
sbc10guy

I just had the same in my 71 shortbed. I filled it up at a rural gas station which happened to be 35 for a little while before a 55 zone. I wanted to test my trans as i thought it was slipping. When i took off i hammered on it and was watching the tach instead of the speedo and i let off coasted over a small hill and the county sheriff was cruising toward me and pulled me over. I got an 86 mph in a 35 which i felt was faster then what i was going and i had no idea i was going that fast i just wanted it to go through the gears. Anyway i got exactly 51 over being pulled over in the 35 and i was in the 55 zone and i did pull over immediatly, ever before he was turned around. I feel i should have been ticketed for 31 over instead but what can you do i guess. To me the fine is minor the lawyer fees and loss of my license and cdl for work is the worst. Also upped insurance means i decided to sell the truck and now im left without my dream truck. Sorry for the rant im still kind of sore about it. Best of luck with your incident.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #30
jocko

yep - ole dollar is spot on, in today's day and age - use a gps to calibrate a speedo first time out - had to do it myself recently.

You picked the worst state to get this ticket, ask me how I know... More than 25 over is (qualifies for) wreckless driving, the officer is not required to take you away to the pokey, but it still is wreckless driving. T-school will not likely be an option.

HOWEVER - Google the violation code on your ticket - it will tell you if he actually charged you with wreckless driving. It might be mandatory - I know the officer has to option to charge with wreckless driving if you're UNDER 25 mph over, not sure if he has a choice when it's that much over. If I were a bettin man, I'd say you've cornholed yourself.

Sorry dude - CA sucks when it comes to tickets. Glad you didn't get hauled off and cavity searched...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #31
leftybass209

I know certain roads, visible scenery and the like can make it appear as though you aren't traveling at said speed, but 30 is a stretch no matter what. I feel for you as I've lived in California for 25 years and plan to go back. However, law enforcement is charged with keeping you safe as well as property and others. The slightest problem and a 95 MPH wreck is a hell of a lot of paperwork, man hours, and possible destruction to property, be it trees or a light pole or even a farmers distraught barbwire fence. Bring up anything about "calibration " and they will argue why you didn't have the 40 year old speedometer calibrated before installation. Also if you aren't a certified mechanic, installing vehicle safety equipment could be argued. I love all my classic truck family, but the ticket was warranted. Not his attitude though.
Posted via Mobile Device
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #32
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
sorry to hear what happened to you...i use a G.P.S when in doubt . ole dollar is about 17 mph slow...so i use on a lot....cheaper than a speeding ticket, i would probably have gave you a ticket also....but i am retired now...
Before smart phones I used a hand-held GPS.
Now that I have an ipod phone I just simply downloaded a FREE app that tells me my speed. (Thanks to your government all phones these days have a GPS receiver in them).

I would use one of the above methods WAY before I buzzed it up to gosh knows what then counting seconds between mile markers.

If you don't have a GPS or smart phone I'm sure one of your buddies has one. It only takes 5 minutes to verify your speedo against a phone or GPS.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #33
RustyBucket

I used my lil' Garmin GPS after I did the engine swap on my EZGO golf cart.. got 31 mph at 5500rpm.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #34
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
I once gave a guy on a motorcycle a ticket fr 92 MPH in a 55 zone. He said "I cant believe you gave me a ticket for the whole 92!" I replied "I can't believe you were doing the whole 92!" I must be an a-hole cop.
A little backgound though. This was were 2 lanes of traffic was coming together into 1 and there were other vehicles traveling on the highway as well. He was just trying to get to the front of the line of cars.
On the plus side of my job, I took a Grandfather to jail last week for performing oral sex on his 5 year old granddaughter.
While I'd like to not interact with you on a professional basis , and while I really don't like to see most folks get a ticket, you did "good". The guy you described above on the bike was like way too many folks these days....
He has the dreaded "Get ahead of the other guy" syndrome. I can't figure it out...except that we have these brain-dead natural competitive instincts that will likely be the death of us all...one way or another.

On the second issue (the "plus side of your job"), I bet that if we put 100 people on this forum on the rules committee, at least ninety-six of us would issue you free tags and a few rounds to help take out that swine.
The remaining four might be compassionate and suggest that the guy is sick.

He'd be a lot sicker after I got thru with him. But he wouldn't need a doctor.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #35
DT1

Just a follow up.
I took my speedometer in for calibration today and it had a 16 MPH error.
At 95 MPH on his machine my unit was indicating 79 MPH.
I know I was going faster but I wonder if the judge will take this (Calibration Certificate) into consideration and allow me to go to traffic school
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

I haven't been to court for a ticket in several years, but I remember the judge asking me, Guilty, Not Guilty or traffic school. I took the school and he knocked the fine almost in half (first experience with red light cameras. I was only in CA a month, red light .09 seconds) I get no break these days since they changed the law on Commercial licence holders. We are supposed to be professional at all time...

Good luck!

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #37
Rich 5150 69

Plead Nolo Contendre, ( only guilty under the circumstances with a statement ) and tell your case with your paper work from the Speedo calibration..he just might keep it off your record, but will probably still have a reduced fine.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #38
Murphy IRE

Sounds like my luck, bad. I've never gotten out of any tickets. Fortunately, it's been a while since my last! So, I guess I do have some good Luck
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
big mike71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Just a follow up.
I took my speedometer in for calibration today and it had a 16 MPH error.
At 95 MPH on his machine my unit was indicating 79 MPH.
I know I was going faster but I wonder if the judge will take this (Calibration Certificate) into consideration and allow me to go to traffic school
I would pay a lawyer to keep it off your record.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
sir_talk_alot

well, this is my exact reason for saying california sucks. not to bash on the people, just all its laws. what you did there and got a ticket would be ok here. shoot the cops race out here in the country. infact today on the way home had a county sheriff roll up on my back bumper, i figured he was gonna get me for all the noise making from straight pipes and doing 10 over, instead he opened his charger up and passed me just to go alittle faster. out here the cops are for our protection, not to harass us for going a couple over. ive blown a cops doors off out here and he could care less. id tell the judge what you were doing. and the fact the only one in any danger was you and your old truck.

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #41
Billett

My speedo is off right now, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it. In most situations I either set my phone in a dash mount for its GPS or I just try to stay with traffic and not stand out. It sucks that you got caught in a such a rural area, but you definitely have the right attitude. As for the story of a cop over estimating speeds... I was with my brother one time in his 84 El camino with an original v6. He got pulled over for supposedly doing 90 in a 55. His speedo only went up to 85, but the actual car can't pull itself past 80... My brother had no problem paying the ticket and the guy dropped it to 75 anyway, but it still pisses me off that he lied right to our faces like that.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote