The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Lionc68c10

Engine gets really hot!

My engine gets really hot and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to keep an engine cool, thanks.
Lionc68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Engine gets really hot!

you might start by listing type of engine what its installed in and any recent work or mods done on it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Lionc68c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
you might start by listing type of engine what its installed in and any recent work or mods done on it
Its a small block 350 Edelbrock engine. Only thing added is power steering.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
69chevybmx

How far is your fan from your radiator? What type of condition is your fan shroud in?

Mine had a cracked up and riveted back together POS shroud on it when i first got it. It worked fine though with the tired motor that was in it. Once I had it rebuilt, the engine was running really hot. I changed to 4 row radiator, new properly fitting shroud, and a spacer to make the fan closer to the radiator and all is well with the world now.
69chevybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
cdowns

are you sure you have the right water pump?pump for newer serpintine systems run reverse of the old conventional ones.
is the thermostat in the housing properly? reversed they wont open.
is a rad hose collapased or kinked?

are you sure it's ovverheating have you taken a known good thermometer and put it in the rad and checked actual temp of the fluid? if going by gauges they are often wrong or the sending units are bad or wrong for the application
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
68 Stepside
huh?

I think all the bases have been covered here, as far as things to check. First things first, the easiest thing to do would be to inform us of what gauge setup you're using. If you're using stock gauges, I've seen the temp wire short out many times, causing the gauge to peg hot. If you don't have an aftermarket gauge installed, I would recommend doing so. Keep us posted.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
....are you sure it's overheating have you taken a known good thermometer and put it in the rad and checked actual temp of the fluid? if going by gauges they are often wrong or the sending units are bad or wrong for the application
Don't forget the cap. Make sure it's the right pressure one for your vehicle.

I bought a radiator cap with a temp gauge from Auto Zone last year and found out my radiator was in the normal range but my inside gauge was showing the engine was hot...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I bought a radiator cap with a temp gauge from Auto Zone last year and found out my radiator was in the normal range but my inside gauge was showing the engine was hot...
All that means is the coolant in the rad is the right temperature. The coolant in the engine can still be too hot.
The radiator and the engine are not the same system, but rather two seperate but related systems.
Kinda like seeing my sister and saying Andy must be a good lookin guy.... look at his sister.
When the truth is... well, you've all seen me.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Lionc68c10

Thumbs up Re: Engine gets really hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevybmx View Post
How far is your fan from your radiator? What type of condition is your fan shroud in?

Mine had a cracked up and riveted back together POS shroud on it when i first got it. It worked fine though with the tired motor that was in it. Once I had it rebuilt, the engine was running really hot. I changed to 4 row radiator, new properly fitting shroud, and a spacer to make the fan closer to the radiator and all is well with the world now.

I believe you hit the money!!!! I went and looked at the truck and noticed that the fan is pretty far from the radiator, to be honest it is not even close to the radiator....wow... I got some spacers and an extension for the shroud to actually cover the fan. Also, what's a 4 row radiator, how does it differ from a regular radiator. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
spinning wheels

One of the first and easiest things to check, is make sure your thermostat is working properly. Many older vehicles have had them replaced with the wrong temp. or have had them completely removed. A 180 degrees thermostat is a general safe temp. Most new cars run 210 degrees, but that is for emissions and sensors. You can test the themostat, but they are cheap enough to just replace it with a new one.

If you still have a fan with a clutch, it is possible that the thermo clutch on the fan is bad. Sometimes they lock up completely, so the fan does not disengage at highway speeds. Other times, is slips and in stop and go traffic, your fan does not pull enough air thru the radiator, to cool down your down your hot cooling liquid, (H2O/anti-freeze), in the radiator. If you have a rigid mounted flex fan, disregard this part.
Your fan shroud does not have to enclose the whole fan. Mine has about 3/8 of an inch, outside the shroud.

Make sure your radiator cap is in good condition. Trying to remember, if I'm wrong someone correct me. The cap should be a 13 to 17 lbs cap. I have seen cars overheat with 7 lbs caps.

Make sure your radiator isn't all plugged up. Either flush it yourself or take out the radiator and have a good radiator shop clean it out for you.

Observe your water pump. Check and see if your weep hole is leaking. This usually starts just before the pump is about to expire. When the engine cools down, run your fingers under and around the pump and check for signs of coolant leaking.

As for the answer to the question what is a 4 row radiator..... umm, check out US Radiators web site. kinda a long explanation, or do a google search.

When you say its an Edelbrock engine. Are you referring to the engines that Edelbrock sells complete or just some Edelbrock parts on your Chevy 350?

Worst case, you may have a blown head gasket.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #11
67shortie
Green club

How hot is the temp getting to? Is it on the factory dash, or do you have an aftermarket guage?

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Lionc68c10

I built a plastic cover that extends over the fan and installed the lower panal between the bumper and radiator support to channel the air to the radiator. It has made a big difference in regard to the cool air.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
tim21391

you dont have trapped air in your radiator do you??? in my eclipse i got trapped air and whenever i am stopped for awhile i get upto H on the gauge.... but when i drive it goes back to normal temp..
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

there's supposed to be air in the rads on these, its an open system.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
spinning wheels

Some vehicles need to have the cooling system burped. Usually the vehicle has the top of the radiator lower than the engine. Sometimes the air bleeder is located on top of the thermostat housing.

Some vehicles you need to jackup one side of the vehicle, so that you can have the radiator cap or bleeder, sit higher than the engine. VW watercooled vanigans had this design.

The 67-72, fortunately does not have any of these designs.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
SRVBLUES64

I installed a champion rad 2 rowwith an electric fan and a 190 thermostat I have a switch in the cab to turn on when she gets warm which she does reach 200 and the hoses look like they swell? the gauge is new any thoughts
Attached Images

SRVBLUES64 is offline   Reply With Quote