The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
low82c10

Calling all arizona LS swappers!!!

quick question for you all, when did a swap did you run it through emissions and if so did you keep your vapor canister etc? i started my swap and dont want to throw anything away if i need it to pass emissions. Thanks!
low82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
chebyshortbox65

Re: Calling all arizona LS swappers!!!

You have to have everything from the year motor your putting in I belive 2002 was the last year for egr valve so you will need charcoal canister fuel tank pressure sensor and purge valve all hooked up all four oxagen sensors and cats and intake system with all that installed you will have to go to a referee and they will smog it as the year of the engine and give you a sticker in the door jamb if you fail good luck lol I'm actually gonna be going soon myself as I'm in the process of installing a e rod crate ls3 and 6 speed auto trans in a 87 caprice for a customer
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

Get yourself out of Maricopa

I did an LS swap in my blazer, drive it everyday. Up here in Prescott we don't have to worry about silly things like smog laws.

As a matter of fact I researched it before buying a house out here and that's exactly why my butt is up on the mountain

I know California follows those rules that Cheby mentioned about having every single piece from the year and vehicle the engine came from,,,which is actually impossible if you think about it. Not sure if AZ follows those exact rules or not, but if thats the case, then technically they should follow the testing rules as well for that vehicle. Here in AZ (maricopa and pima county), all your 96 and up vehicles go through a simple code check test where they plug into your OBDII port and that's it. No sniffer and no visual. If you have no codes, you pass. So technically speaking, a new LS engine with OBDII should be tested as such no matter what vehicle it's in.

Now I do know California doesn't follow that train of thought because they do much more than a simple plug in at the OBDII port.

I had an 82 Jeep Scrambler that I did a 96 LT1/4L60E swap in and drove it daily. California wouldn't pass it however, and after talking with the smog techs I was informed that since the engine came out of a corvette, I had to run the corvette exhaust system, corvette evap and smog hoses, etc. etc....

I just busted out laughing right on the spot None of that **** is going to even come close to fitting on an 82 Jeep. I told him I could easily graft aftermarket cat converters onto the existing exhaust system but he said that's unacceptable, they have to be from the vette, again I couldn't contain myself and laughed some more Just absolutely proposterous what they try to enforce. Doesn't matter if it burns clean as a whistle and passes with flying colors. And that's where I have a big problem with some of these smog laws,,,some just don't make any sense, and Cali is one of them. That's why I don't live over there. At the time I ended up registering the Jeep over in Nevada and continued to drive it. Cali can just hurry up and fall into the ocean Sorry for the rant, but just my experiences, hope it helps in some way.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
low82c10

As of right now I have it registered outside Maricopa but after my swap I want to change it to chandler. I have my charcoal canister/vapor canister so I can still hook that up and I can hook up the purge valve to the canister also. The only thing I haven't heard of is the fuel tank pressure sensor?? at the emission place what they checking for when they put a cap on your fuel tank and also your fuel cap
Posted via Mobile Device
low82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote