The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
rustypu

Aftermarket bed yes or no?

I am building a SWB Fleet and my bed needs alot of work so I was thinking, would it be worth buying a complete bed kit. has anyone done this, and if so how do they look?
rustypu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Russ.W.

Re: Aftermarket bed yes or no?

Am interested in this myself.

Mine only has a wooden tray, and I wouldn't mind replacing it with a stepside. Buying one in pieces to ship overseas is about my only real option.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Do the math.IIRC an aftermarket bed runs about $2800 complete minus wood and/or floor.I can't remember if that quote was with or without or which floor.A good used be can probably be had for less though it will need some work to be "show quality" really just depends on your goal.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Fldawg

i did this and it cost me about 2200, but do your homework, the only thing i can recommend is woodall bed floor everyone uses the floor but use differant bedsides and header and tailgate, with all repop parts your gonna get good and bad, i used woodall sheetmetal and got a a smooth tailgate from LMC. heres a picture of the bed. some holes had to be drilled out but all in all it turned out real good
Attached Images

Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
pat 70/71

I drove six hours one way and spent $1,200.00 on an original short bed for my avatar truck (cut down long bed chassis) and it still needed a lot of work. But it was original and that is what I wanted. I think I spent 20 hrs on body work to get it straight (floor/ front panel/wheel wells/ inner bed sides /outer bed sides. I wanted all Gm parts on my truck but that's just me. So I guess if you add it up an after market bed (in parts)really isn't that bad of a deal for some. Cheers, Pat
Posted via Mobile Device
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

I have a complete steel floor repop bed on the Mistress...$2600 total for everything...went together great...

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
big mike71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldawg View Post
i did this and it cost me about 2200, but do your homework, the only thing i can recommend is woodall bed floor everyone uses the floor but use differant bedsides and header and tailgate, with all repop parts your gonna get good and bad, i used woodall sheetmetal and got a a smooth tailgate from LMC. heres a picture of the bed. some holes had to be drilled out but all in all it turned out real good
I really like your truck, It's one of my favorites.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
rustypu

Thanks for the replys, two venders on here offer complete steel floor kits for 2300. sounds too good to be true! I think I will take a chance and order one later today.
rustypu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
GMCPaul

We have received Only Great reviews of the entire SWB & LWB bed kits that we carry. A few of our customers have mentioned they had to elongate 2-3 holes to get it put together but its been our experience and the experience of most that purchased these bed kits from us that if you simply install every bolt before tightening any its generally not needed to elongate any holes.
We carry the SWB Fleetside bed kit with steel floor versions for $2100.00 & $2600.00 for the LWB version. The killer though can be the cost of shipping as the bed floor in the kit takes the freight classification to a Class 250 instead of the standard Class 150 or Class 85 that most sheetmetal ships as and the higher the truck freight class # means the higher the cost per pound to ship. We can still generally get a LWB kit to the west coast for around $800-$900 shipping, and thats with a 78% truck freight shipping discount.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
rob32472

There are some aftermarket parts that I have heard good things about only to buy them and they be complete junk IMO. I have purchased two complete beds and both went together easily. I had to elongate two or three hole to make them work and that is it. Well worth it in my opinion.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
oneoff

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by leddzepp; 09-06-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fs non subscriber
oneoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
We have received Only Great reviews of the entire SWB & LWB bed kits that we carry. A few of our customers have mentioned they had to elongate 2-3 holes to get it put together but its been our experience and the experience of most that purchased these bed kits from us that if you simply install every bolt before tightening any its generally not needed to elongate any holes.
We carry the SWB Fleetside bed kit with steel floor versions for $2100.00 & $2600.00 for the LWB version. The killer though can be the cost of shipping as the bed floor in the kit takes the freight classification to a Class 250 instead of the standard Class 150 or Class 85 that most sheetmetal ships as and the higher the truck freight class # means the higher the cost per pound to ship. We can still generally get a LWB kit to the west coast for around $800-$900 shipping, and thats with a 78% truck freight shipping discount.
GMCPaul

What would be your price shipped for the SWB without the floor? I may be able to source that locally.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
67anthony

I have a new bed floor worked great looks great but i would look for a nice uesd one you will be money a head those after market parts will need body work to most people dont think about that .
67anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
oldspowered67C10

I built mine from all aftermarket stuff. The quality/fit of everything(except the inner fender wells) was really good. My bedsides, other than shipping damage, needed very little body work, a good coat of high build primer took care of almost all imperfections. If you look closely enough you can tell its not OEM stuff but you have to look really close so I would definitely recommend doing a all aftermarket bed.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote