The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
bonestock70

Re: 70 c10 clutch adjustment question

The old pressure plate was tossed out months ago and I don't have any pictures, but you have possibly answered my question. It is the pressure plate itself that causes the need for a short or long TO bearing. I wasn't certain if the bellhousing geometry had something to do with it or if it was just the PP. So if your observation is correct, the only problem is that I bought the clutch as a kit and the short TO bearing was part of the package. With that in mind, wouldn't the kit come with the right bearing? I know we are talking about the Autozone folks here. I also tried to operate the clutch arm with a pry bar and wasn't able to move it, but that could just be I wasn't putting enough pressure on it, esp. because it is new.

Thanks for your insight heyjoe, let me know what you think. BTW, I took out the floor shifter and put it back to 3 on the tree. Like it is supposed to be.
bonestock70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #27
1970C10truck

I just solved my problem the other day. I havent had much time to work on my truck since I started this thread. After I pulled the motor and rebuilt it I replaced the clutch and still ended up with the same results. Turned out the problem was in the linkage under the dash. The splined shaft that rotates as the pedal is moved was stripped and so was the part that clamps on to it. It was moving the linkage but not enough to make the Z bar move enough to really do anything.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #28
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. I would have been chasing that all over the place too...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #29
bonestock70

Thanks 70C10 and Locdoc for responding. I am waiting on my "long" TO bearing to arrive in the mail and then I will yank the tranny and swap TO bearings.

70C10, appreciate the info on the clutch pedal problem you had and will look at mine to verify the integrity. I think it will all work out though once the long bearing is installed. I should have kept the old pressure plate to look at.

I'll post again in a few days to follow up.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #30
bonestock70

Okay, the "Long" Throwout Bearing arrived in the mail finally and was much cheaper and available online. This was a part I had a little trouble finding. I pulled out the trans last weekend and put the new bearing in and it looked good. I didn't know for sure that everything worked until yesterday when I got all of the linkage parts installed and adjusted it and it feels great.

That WAS the problem.

So, in short, thanks to all who gave me advice here. Much appreciated.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #31
Truckenthusiast70

Do you remember where you purchased the longer throw out bearing? I think I have the same issue. I bought a new clutch package from Napa and it has the different pressure plate. I haven't checked my current throw out bearing but my adjustment rod is near the end and it barely releases. I really don't want to pull the tranny until I see the difference between the two bearings. Any help is much appreciated.
Truckenthusiast70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #32
bonestock70

Not sure of the name but if I have time today I'll take a look at my records. And also see if I have pics. Truck is running good, love shifting the three on the tree just because it is different. A little sloppier than a floor shift but way cooler
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #33
bonestock70

I think I bought this one:

http://www.classictruck.com/product/...s_Clutch_Items

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #34
Truckenthusiast70

I just found one through classicparts.com for the same price. It's hard to believe only a 1/2" makes that much of a difference between the two bearings. Thanks for the help. I have to start pulling a tranny...
Truckenthusiast70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #35
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckenthusiast70 View Post
It's hard to believe only a 1/2" makes that much of a difference between the two bearings....
Remember that when you go to adjust the clutch rod. A couple of turns on the adjustment nuts can make a lot of difference. Too many people crank them in or out a 1/4 or 1/2 inch at a time and then can't figure out why they can't get it adjusted correctly.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote