The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
Tmwoodall

Re: Alternatives to rubber fuel hose?

Hmm, sure seems to me you can run rubber from the tank to frame rail (rear tank in my case), then the hard steel all the way to the pump. I know there is some movement in the frame and between the pump as it torques around. But I sure would have thought there is enough line length to absorb that much flex.

Totally agree though zero cause for rubber between pump and carb as that is all fixed points on the same plane. I am about to get rid of my braided stainless between carb and pump actually to make a stainless hardline. Just looks cleaner and can get good routing without the need for any clamps or tiedowns in odd places. Likely just put on on the head to keep it in place.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #27
hot trux
'85 Stepside

fuel injection hose has higher burst rate. Aeroquip has a racing line of hose that i used.
hot trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
hayhauler71

You said you had a edelbrock carb so here is mine with a edelbrock carb
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Tmwoodall

Fuzzy, how did you get such a nice crisp bend in that braided hose? Is that just pressure with the clamp on the head? If I can get mine to look that crisp no need to bend my own line.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
dmw319

Thanks hayhauler that looks good!
Posted via Mobile Device

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmwoodall View Post
Fuzzy, how did you get such a nice crisp bend in that braided hose? Is that just pressure with the clamp on the head? If I can get mine to look that crisp no need to bend my own line.
There is not that much pressure on the clamp it just needs to have the right length of hose to make it fit that way
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmwoodall View Post
Hmm, sure seems to me you can run rubber from the tank to frame rail (rear tank in my case), then the hard steel all the way to the pump. I know there is some movement in the frame and between the pump as it torques around. But I sure would have thought there is enough line length to absorb that much flex.

There will be a lot of flex between the pump and hard line to the frame rail. The engine moves quite a bit with the rubber engine mounts. So a short piece of flexable line from the pump to the hard line on the frame is needed as well as a short piece near the tank.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
There is not that much pressure on the clamp it just needs to have the right length of hose to make it fit that way
you happen to know the exact length?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #34
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
There will be a lot of flex between the pump and hard line to the frame rail. The engine moves quite a bit with the rubber engine mounts. So a short piece of flexable line from the pump to the hard line on the frame is needed as well as a short piece near the tank.

Gary
Agree^ Got to have the rubber fuel line there.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #35
Tmwoodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Agree^ Got to have the rubber fuel line there.
I feel like a dummy. I spent a lot trying to get the right adaptors for my oddly sized 1/4 Holley in and our ports to mate to the 3/8 Fuel line, and -6AN Braided hose. I already have the right barbs for rubber, and am going to end up bending my own SS line now. Lot of cost and lost time for nothing. Ha. Just one of many such "learning" instances
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #36
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw319 View Post
you happen to know the exact length?
I just measured the hose and it is 22 5/8 inch long that is without the fittings
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
richards72chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The filter is in the housing in the front of my dual feed fuel line for my Holley. It's got a big brass filer in it...

This is it:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3120-2/?rtype=10

It also has a fuel pressure guage with it.

This is the line installed on the truck....

Gary
That looks very good.Do you use any thing on the threads?
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #38
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
I just measured the hose and it is 22 5/8 inch long that is without the fittings
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
That looks very good.Do you use any thing on the threads?
Yea looks like some Teflon tape (the white)
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
496bb

Lots of good info in this thread, thought I'd bring it back up to get a little help with my questions of similar nature. My truck has had a new fuel pump installed by the PO, it's a 69 C20 307 2 bbl. I am in the process of installing an Edelbrock intake with Summit carb, and HEI. The factory hard line from the pump seems to be 5/16 I suppose. I know 3/8 is a more common standard for fuel filters and the outlet for my carb line. I may get the braided 6AN kit from summit if that has everything I would need to run from pump to carb- but I am unsure what the best way is to run a filter in there with this setup. Also- since this pump has the 5/16 hard line from the factory, what is the fitting size to screw into the pump when using the larger 3/8 line and will I be able to use a 3/8 line with this fuel pump? That may be a dumb question, but I am still learning as I go here. The small section of rubber hose from the hard line coming from the tank also looks kinda sketchy- what size rubber hose would I need to replace it, I think it's the original 43 year old piece?
496bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #40
gotchamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496bb View Post
Lots of good info in this thread, thought I'd bring it back up to get a little help with my questions of similar nature. My truck has had a new fuel pump installed by the PO, it's a 69 C20 307 2 bbl. I am in the process of installing an Edelbrock intake with Summit carb, and HEI. The factory hard line from the pump seems to be 5/16 I suppose. I know 3/8 is a more common standard for fuel filters and the outlet for my carb line. I may get the braided 6AN kit from summit if that has everything I would need to run from pump to carb- but I am unsure what the best way is to run a filter in there with this setup. Also- since this pump has the 5/16 hard line from the factory, what is the fitting size to screw into the pump when using the larger 3/8 line and will I be able to use a 3/8 line with this fuel pump? That may be a dumb question, but I am still learning as I go here. The small section of rubber hose from the hard line coming from the tank also looks kinda sketchy- what size rubber hose would I need to replace it, I think it's the original 43 year old piece?
You will need a Russel fitting to go from factory fuel pump to braided fuel hose.Summitt has it,RUS#640330.You will also need a 90 degree fitting #RUS614806.You can then use a Edelbrock # 8131 fuel line/filter.The braided Edelbrock line is #8123 to go from Russell fittings to rigid line/filter.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #41
MikeyMan

My 307 2bbl has 5/16" line as well. If it's all original, the sending unit and pump and lines should be 5/16" for a 2bbl.

My other truck with a 350 4bbl has 3/8" line. You may need to upgrade your fuel pump if you go with a larger carb.

As for the rubber hose from the tank hard line, replace it with premium quality fuel injector hose. Today's alcohol blended fuels deterioriate rubber more quickly. 3/8" should work fine and slip on easily. Be ready to work FAST, gravity will keep the gas flowing from your tank!
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #42
Steve Cole

I have 3/8 stainless line running up the frame to the pump. It is currently threaded into the pump so if I want to run a short length of rubber hose to the pump, I will have to cut the threaded end fitting off the line and then put the raised ring in the line ( don't know what it is called but it keeps the hose from sliding off when a clamp is installed behind the raised area) or maybe I can find an adapter that converts the threaded end of my line to a barbed end for a rubber hose. What is everyone else doing in this situation?
Posted via Mobile Device
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #43
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

I'm changing out the carb right now, but here it is with an Edlebrock. The braided cover runs into a hard line (hand bent) right behind the a/c compressor and connects to the fuel pump.

(I *meant* with my handy-dandy tube bender)
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 09-22-2012 at 12:52 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #44
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Gary, I bought the fuel line and filter from Summit, can you tell me what you used to adapt the end coming from the filter to accept the AN fitting? as it comes supplied with a ridged fitting to take a rubber hose.

Thanks.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote