The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Skunksmash

Procedure for front trim

What exactly is the procedure for removal of the front end trim on the 81-87's? I'm talking about that ring of trim that goes all around the headlights and the grill on the front of the truck. Its only about 1 and a quarter inch wide, but its about 5 feet long. You got one on the top near the hood, one down by the bumper, and a couple of C shaped ones that go around the headlights and complete the circle.

I looked around on youtube but I can't find anyone detailing this process. I have tried to get it off but I don't want to bend up the pieces that are still good. The long one on the bottom has a couple of big ugly rock dents and Rockauto is selling the new trim for $7 each. Had to jump on that deal. Seeing as how all the resto sites are going to think its worth $40 or more.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
one low c10

Re: Procedure for front trim

i just did this... I believe the grill and headlamp bezels need to be removed. there are speed nuts on the back side of the core support that all the trim on. watch out for aftermarket trim. I bought new upper and lower grille trim and the contour doesnt match the side pieces. I ended up pitching the new ones and found some nice straight ones at a pick and pull. you might be alright if you purchase all four pieces though... just my .02
one low c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
tylervalo

Pretty much ^

Remove the bolts from the core support that hold the grill and headlight bezels on. From there just a small ratchet with a 3/8 socket.
tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Skunksmash

Ok thanks appreciate it.

Wait you mean you just take the nut off the back of those little fasteners that hold the trim itself on? I just found that a few minutes ago when I got the grill and stuff off. You do have to take that nut off? They don't just sort of slide along the fastener and come off? Mine little nuts (haha) look pretty stuck on there so I thought I'd ask. And they're kind of... cheap looking. Like they're not real nuts. Like they're just those quick spin hollow fastener nuts that sometimes break easily.

Last edited by Skunksmash; 09-29-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
one low c10

They are just thread cutting nuts and I've never seen them seize or break before.
Posted via Mobile Device
one low c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

almost have to pull and screw at the same time
if you can see the nut cutting new "thread" stop and try and get it to the spot already cut
seen them strip/snap
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote