The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
rfsnyder

Re: Roll-on bed liner for tub thoughts

In my earlier post... I mentioned that I used Herculiner in my Scout II. Well I just finished my 72 Blazer tub, but due to the conversation within this thread, I used Al's Liner. So now I have experience with both and here are my personal opinions/experiences:

Al's Liner:
• I brushed my entire interior - firewall, floor pans, bed, wheel wells, sidewalls, tailgate, and even the tow hitch.
• I would brush on and then "dab" to get the desired texture. The dabbing takes time, and time is critical with Al's due to chemical reaction setup time.
• I had to mixed smaller batches due to the setup time issues. Had to watch correct mixture and color.
• Al’s gets really thick toward the end of its “pot life”. If/When you try to stretch it, it gets very gummy and when I tried to dab, it actually pulls away from the surface and onto the brush. That’s when you know you are done…
• My biggest issue was with their "primer" or prep spray (adhesion promoter). This is very sticky and clogs the spray bottle after mere seconds of setting it down. Had to constantly pull nozzle and clean.
• I still have about 10 to 12 oz of mixture remaining.. Which is good, for I have some touch up areas, the gas filler tub cover and vent pipe remaining.
• Cleanup was easy… I typically mixed in a plastic painting mixing cup and then painted from the cup as well. When done, I just threw away the brush and cleaned my hands with Goof-off (works ok). As far as the mixing cup… just wait! Don’t try to clean prematurely… it just makes it worse. Wait until the material is fully curried and then it literally just peels out.

Herculiner
• I don’t recall having to manage my time as critical with Herculiner. Open the can and started brushing. No mixing, no prep spray, to time concerns.
• I brushed on in the same manner… brush then dab. Herculiner has more particles in their mix to cause more of a texture.
• I used a gallon and a quart to do my Scout II. And I think it’s a smaller bed than that of the Blazer. Could have been the thickness that I was applying as well, not sure here.
• Cleanup was tougher here… throw away the bush and the cup in which you were painting from… and you will need some serious chemicals to get if off your skin… if you are like me, you’ll just wear it proudly for about a week!

Overall
• I went with Al's due to the UV protection element... and hopefully it will remain glossy, unlike my Herculiner. The verdict is still out on this one.
• I’ve had some Al’s liner peel-away when removing taped up bolts to protect threaded mounting holes (seats, seat belts, etc.). Make sure you cut around such areas before wrenching.
• Al's feels much more "rubbery" compared to my Herculiner. Because of such, to me my Herculiner feels more durable... but I don't know how durable Al's liner is, for I just got it down. Time will tell.
• My 16 year old son (actually it’s his blazer) prefers the Al’s Liner. He feels Herculiner is too rough and tends to scratch the skin when getting in or sitting in the back next to wheel wells.

Hope this helps.
rfsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks for posting this! It's reads like these that help everyone make a more sound decision on their purchase!
Post some pics!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #28
rfsnyder

Ok.. you asked for some Picts... I tried to get a close-up pict so you can see the texture from the "dabbing".

Attached Images

rfsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #29
bigbadchev72
People know me

I have sprayed well over 30 gallons of Als liner so far. I love the stuff. For the price you really cant complain, plus you have the option of tinting it. I have sprayed my 67, my 72 blazer, my old 72 jimmy, and the member Truckseats top, A couple trailers and numerous pickup beds, I have not had any complaints as far as durability goes.

I like to spray the inside of the cab/tubs and both sides of the firewall, It helps with the noise and also piece of mind for rust prevention. Especially with the blazers, It dosent matter if you take them mudding or not, You never know when your gonna get wet carpet with the top off, or leaky seals.

It takes 2 gallons to spray a hardtop inside and out, I used 1/3 of a bottle of flattner per gallon and am happy with the sheen it gives.

Here are some pics of some of my work.

1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
bigbadchev72
People know me

1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #31
tubbedII
needs more $$$

The black blazer top looks great bigbadchev72. My fall/winter project will be spraying my top the same color. Is there a certain mixture you went with on it that you remember?

rfsnyder, "your son's" blazer came out good too! Is this just straight out of the can color?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
bigbadchev72
People know me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
The black blazer top looks great bigbadchev72. My fall/winter project will be spraying my top the same color. Is there a certain mixture you went with on it that you remember?

rfsnyder, "your son's" blazer came out good too! Is this just straight out of the can color?
It is the black dye that is included in the kit, with 1/3 of a bottle of the als flattner per gallon. I like to spray at 40-45psi, it takes a large amount of air since the gun has a constant air flow. you can get the same gun at harbor frieght for cheaper as well.

Also be sure to be aware of the hopper at all times, I had a very steep learning curve When spraying down or upwards it likes to spill out if your not paying attention.

Here are a couple more pics of the top I sprayed for myself

Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #33
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Perfect. I didn't realize this, but it was YOUR top that locked me in on the Als Liner for mine! I've been contemplating doing the inside too but worried about painting it black in fear of it turning into a "cave". Do you notice anything like that?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #34
bigbadchev72
People know me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Perfect. I didn't realize this, but it was YOUR top that locked me in on the Als Liner for mine! I've been contemplating doing the inside too but worried about painting it black in fear of it turning into a "cave". Do you notice anything like that?
Not at all, I was worried about that as well. I had bought the white tint to do that top, It wasnt until I mixed the white tint in that I realized I didnt have enough and it was a pinkish tint. I had to dump the supplied black tint in at the last minute since the batch was mixed and was gonna flash if I didnt spary it quick! I was very happy with the results.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #35
Bentblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post
Not at all, I was worried about that as well. I had bought the white tint to do that top, It wasnt until I mixed the white tint in that I realized I didnt have enough and it was a pinkish tint. I had to dump the supplied black tint in at the last minute since the batch was mixed and was gonna flash if I didnt spary it quick! I was very happy with the results.
Looks good! I also did Al's liner and am pleased with the results. FYI; anyone wanting to go white, you do have to use a high end tint. I spent $90 for a quart of tint to do mine, turned out nice
1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote