The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
cakes

55-59 SBC Motor mounts

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum. Some of you may recognize me from the HAMB.

I am planning on taking my 57 GMC off the 4x4 K5 Chassis and stick it back on to an original chassis that I sourced. First off what motor mounts do you all suggest for a small block Chevy??

Also what else do you think I should do to prep the frame other than the normal stuff, brakes, replacing wear items and doing upgrades.
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 55-59 SBC Motor mounts

A little more information on what your plans are will help. Are you keeping the stock suspension or upgrading with the front and/or back? What engine and tranny are you going to use? There are a couple of new guys talking about putting their TF trucks on a K series frame, maybe you can do a trade!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
cakes

I would be more than willing to sell this frame off to someone after I'm finished. Its got a bit of a kink in it though.

This truck is and will stay my daily driver
My plans are as follows:

mid 60s styled hot rod truck, its already bright blue

drivetrain- 350/350 combo platter

It has already been converted to 5 lug all the way around 62 impala rear axle, will get disc brakes in the front

front suspension will have 3 leaves removed and possibly a drop axle

rear suspension will possibly get a mono leaf or I will make new drop shackles, both if I put the drop axle in the front basically the same height as terd fergusion eventually

this is how she sits now plus a little pin striping and no big dumb exhaust tips
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
mr48chev

Interesting, I know a few rednecks around here that would kill for that truck the way it sits.
On the mounts. 350/350 you will want to go with one of the tube crossmebers that runs under the pan and uses stock type Chevy side mounts. If you run the stock front mounts that bolt to the front of the block and the front crossmember you end up putting too much stress on the bellhousing area of the trans and run the risk of having front seal and other issues.

That sounds like a fun project, keep us posted on the progress.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
cakes

Yeah I know of more than a few red necks around here that love it more than their mamma. its pretty funny watching them gawk
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
mr48chev

Expect some PO'd rednecks when you change it over then. Some of those guys can't understand why anyone would lower a truck "cuz ya can't take it huntin".
Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
If you run the stock front mounts that bolt to the front of the block and the front crossmember you end up putting too much stress on the bellhousing area of the trans and run the risk of having front seal and other issues.

That sounds like a fun project, keep us posted on the progress.
I never have heard about the seal problems. I ran mine with stock front mounts and TH350/Transfer case mount without any seal problems. I did restrain the engine from rotating to much because of the bellhousing problems.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
mr48chev

Over the past 40 years I've seen a couple of transmissions with broken ears on the bellhousings that were attributed to the car or truck having front engine mounts and an automatic with the rear trans mount. With the converter bolted to the flex plate and a slight flexing movement in the bellhousing area it can cause issues with the seal over time.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Over the past 40 years I've seen a couple of transmissions with broken ears on the bellhousings that were attributed to the car or truck having front engine mounts and an automatic with the rear trans mount. With the converter bolted to the flex plate and a slight flexing movement in the bellhousing area it can cause issues with the seal over time.
Ok I could see how that could happen. Try as I might I have never had a SBC that did not weep a little at the rear seal.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
Russell Ashley

I'm using the stock front mounts on my truck but if I had it to do over I would use side mounts. It seems that most later model accessories like the p/s pump, and/or most of the serpentine belt drive systems use the same bolt holes that the front mounts use.

BTW, Cakes, that's a sharp looking truck but I understand why you want to convert it back. I like the look, but those straight axle 4X4's don't drive all that good.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
but those straight axle 4X4's don't drive all that good.
Depends on where you want to drive them!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
cakes

Like I said before, This is my daily, it sees mostly highway and street driving. Maybe the occasional dirt road on the family farm but thats what the tractor and the kawi mule are for