The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
1972RedNeck

Body Work, Should I?

I have a 1972 K20 I bought for $100. The cab corners and rockers are rusted through. The floorboards are rusted through next to the edge. The A pillars appear to fine. The doors are rusted through at the bottom in a few spots.

I have never even tried to do body work at all. I would like to attempt to make a rust free free body that looks fairly decent. I have a good Miller wire welder that can run from .020" to .040" wire. I can make strong welds, but they are not always the prettiest. What size wire is best for body work?

What do I need for tools? I have a cutting torch, sawzall, angle grinder, and a rather large selection of hammers. What other tools do I need?

What is the best order to remove and replace rusted parts? Do I need to brace anything when the cab is chopped apart to prevent tweaking the rest of the cab? Can I do everything with the cab on the truck?

Where is the best place to get replacement sheet metal?

The only part that has me really worried is the doors. What is the best plan of attack to fix them?
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Body Work, Should I?

Here is a great exploded view of the cab to start off with. If I were doing this I'd pull the seat,floor coverings and tank. Plus the sill plates and anything else in the way. Vacuum everything. Then take a few good pictures and post them so people here can look at them objectively.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
BuiltwithIvy

there are some videos on youtube on how to reskin some c10 doors as well as replace rockers and some floor pieces, you should also get a good selection of dollys to work with, and a decent cutoff wheel (harbor freight die grinders work well when taken care of) and I typically always use .035 wire, worst case is more build up that will need to be ground down, but if you have some patience and the time, it should go perfectly, work in small sections, and you shouldn't need to brace anything
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Thumbs up Re: Body Work, Should I?

Yes, go for it! Knowing how to weld is halfway there. Just take your time
Posted via Mobile Device

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Tack weld only and jump around.Let it cool between welds or you'll heat warp and make it rust free but wavy.Same with grinding,heat will build up from it.Take your time with alignment before welding.Use tacks only.I would pay $100 for a cab to practice on.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Tinkermc

I think at that price you can afford to practice pon it or sell it for scrap and make a profit,
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
1972RedNeck

I kinda have to keep the truck. A neighboring rancher it new in '72. He then parked it in '96 due to the box floor being completely rusted through. I offered him $500 and said I could have it for $100 if I fixed it up a little and never sold it.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote