The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Can an AM/FM antenna be used on an AM only radio?

I removed the crappy aftermarket stereo a PO installed in my truck, and I bought a beautiful fully functional original '69 GM Chevy truck AM radio off eBay.

My antenna is broken, so I need to get a different one. When I look at parts sites, it says the AM only radios stock used the telescoping antenna, and AM/FM radios used a solid mast. I'm all for trying to keep the truck period correct where possible, but telescopic antennas snap easily. Can I just use the solid mast one?

Also, has anybody had luck using an antenna off a chevy can or other chevy truck, that looks close to original? I might be able to just get something at the yard that would look as good as one of these parts from LMC or Brothers at a fraction of the cost
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Can an AM/FM antenna be used on an AM only radio?

Hello Mr-B,

Yes a single mast antenna will work, as long as it will plug into the back of the radio which it should. The only problem with using a different yr or model is that it might not sit right on the cowl. Years ago, I remember using a universal job that was spring loaded near the base with a screw you could loosen to adjust the position. I am not sure if they are still available.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

^^ Correct. If it works for AM/FM, it will work as well for AM only.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i use a coat hanger cant see why it wont work

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
FirstOwner69

It'll work. If you currently have an original antenna, I have an easy mod that will help and you can keep your original antenna except for the solid mast.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
It'll work. If you currently have an original antenna, I have an easy mod that will help and you can keep your original antenna except for the solid mast.
I'd love to hear it. As far as I know, the base and cable I have are original
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
I'd love to hear it. As far as I know, the base and cable I have are original
Posted via Mobile Device
It's very easy and works great. The hardest part is finding a mast to use. Ideally, you want a mast with male 1/4-20 threads at the base. I could not find one on any of the donor vehicles in my local junkyard. Most newer masts have female threads and most GM masts are metric. Go to your junkyard and look for Dodge trucks. I don't recall the years for sure, but I believe it was 80s and/or early 90s had 1/4-20 female threads. Fords may be an option as well. Find one of those and make a 1/4-20 stud from a bolt... I used stainless. Insert it tightly (bottomed out) into the mast and cut to the proper length. I ground the end of the stud to resemble the end of the original. That probably isn't necessary, however. Screw it into the base and you're good to go. An O-ring or nylon washer can be used for a weather tight seal if desired.

Below is a picture showing the lower couple inches of my original 1969 Chevy truck antenna base and mast (bottom) and the modified fixed mast (top). If yours is not original, here's an eBay link to a reproduction with a fixed mast. I have not seen one of these in person, but the picture looks like it is close to the original appearance.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1967-68-...sories&vxp=mtr
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
It's very easy and works great. The hardest part is finding a mast to use. Ideally, you want a mast with male 1/4-20 threads at the base. I could not find one on any of the donor vehicles in my local junkyard. Most newer masts have female threads and most GM masts are metric. Go to your junkyard and look for Dodge trucks. I don't recall the years for sure, but I believe it was 80s and/or early 90s had 1/4-20 female threads. Fords may be an option as well. Find one of those and make a 1/4-20 stud from a bolt... I used stainless. Insert it tightly (bottomed out) into the mast and cut to the proper length. I ground the end of the stud to resemble the end of the original. That probably isn't necessary, however. Screw it into the base and you're good to go. An O-ring or nylon washer can be used for a weather tight seal if desired.

Below is a picture showing the lower couple inches of my original 1969 Chevy truck antenna base and mast (bottom) and the modified fixed mast (top). If yours is not original, here's an eBay link to a reproduction with a fixed mast. I have not seen one of these in person, but the picture looks like it is close to the original appearance.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1967-68-...sories&vxp=mtr
That's a neat idea. Thanks for the info and the link. It gives me some good options
Posted via Mobile Device