The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
MattBMiller

No heat at idle in my 71 5500

Just picked up a 71 5500. Went out and started it up today to move it to plow snow. Let it run for a bit in the driveway while i got the tractor out. The blower motor will not blow at idle. Scraped the windows and took it for a spin and I had hot heat blowing once I got moving. Pulled up to a light and the heat/defroster stopped. Any ideas? Probably.going.to have to make room in the garage tomorrow and see what I can find.
Posted via Mobile Device
MattBMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: No heat at idle in my 71 5500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
Just picked up a 71 5500. Went out and started it up today to move it to plow snow. Let it run for a bit in the driveway while i got the tractor out. The blower motor will not blow at idle. Scraped the windows and took it for a spin and I had hot heat blowing once I got moving. Pulled up to a light and the heat/defroster stopped. Any ideas? Probably.going.to have to make room in the garage tomorrow and see what I can find.
Posted via Mobile Device
I bet it needs a new blower motor. You can get one at autozone for like $21. Will take you about an hour to change. Check my previous posts for additional info
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
ole dollor

are you saying the blower motor does not work, or the heater wont get hot unless you are moving. if it does not get hot unless you are moving, then check to see if you are low on water, if the blower motor only works while moving than you have an problem with the wiring, or a switch....can you give more info.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Does it blow but just cold air or not blow at all? If the blower is blowing cold air then it may be low on coolant. It is normal when the coolant is low for the air to blow cold at idle and to get hotter with engine rpm. If the blower does not blow at all, that would be a different issue.

Also, you might have a bad blower motor resistor which will stop the blower from blowing on high. It will blow on low and medium but not high.

Curious to see what is going on with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Does it blow but just cold air or not blow at all? If the blower is blowing cold air then it may be low on coolant. It is normal when the coolant is low for the air to blow cold at idle and to get hotter with engine rpm. If the blower does not blow at all, that would be a different issue.

Also, you might have a bad blower motor resistor which will stop the blower from blowing on high. It will blow on low and medium but not high.

Curious to see what is going on with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I could be wrong, but I recently replaced my heater control unit, and so I got a good close up look at the inner workings. It almost looks like the blower motor doesn't come on until the switch is past about the half way point
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
MattBMiller

The blower does now blow until I get moving, no airflow from the vents when im stopped.
Posted via Mobile Device
MattBMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
ole dollor

i would run a wire from the battery or a known 12 volt source like a fuse thats hot, and hook the wire to the blower motor and see if it blows on high . if it does you have a bad switch or wiring problem.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote