The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2003, 08:20 AM   #1
VTKidder

Manual tilt column?

I understand that there is no such thing as a 67-72 tilt column for manual transmissons (correct?), but was wondering....without closely looking at a tilt and non-tilt column and their internals, is it possible to convert an auto tilt column to a tilt with 3 on the column? Anything is possible with time and money, but...shifter arms for 3 speed and auto are the same, is the collar they attach to the same? How would one get rid of the indicator? Would an auto tilt column allow for the 'pulling and pushing' of the shifter arm on a 3 speed? Pretty much.....

Given a tilt auto and non-tilt 3 speed column, could you make a tilt 3 speed column? Just thinking. Thanks.....
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

I would not say that it is impossible but the shift tube would be the major area to rework and redesign as it is setup to hold the tilt/trunion support in place. In the tilt automatics the shift column does not move up and down as in the non tilt columns.

It looks highly improbable to me!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
palallin

Can you say, "floor shift"?

Then you can tilt to your heart's content.

(I base the recommendation on the fact that you appear to be willing to modify rather than restore your truck.)
Old 10-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
VTKidder

Quote:
Originally posted by palallin
Can you say, "floor shift"?

Then you can tilt to your heart's content.

(I base the recommendation on the fact that you appear to be willing to modify rather than restore your truck.)
I'd like to say you're absolutely incorrect, but I don't know if I can. See, I'm in the process of a resto, not a customization. I asked the question because I've seen a lot of people do a lot of custom stuff with original parts; the radio delete plate which serves as an anti-theft coverup for a nice CD player in the dash, adding a 67-70 bumper on a 71-72 then chucking lights behind the grille, the blazer / burban tank swap and related rear marker light fuel filler, just to name a few.

I was suprised that I've never seen a tilt 3 speed column, that's why I asked.

I'm definitely a die hard stock fan, and believe that the best looking trucks are those that looked like they rolled off the assembly line, along with many other members here, but am willing to add stuff to my truck that it didn't come with, like a tilt column, or bucket seats, disc brakes and body trim for example. I don't know if that makes me a "traitor" because I'm changing the truck from how it rolled off the line, but as long as I'm investing tons of time and money in the truck, I'm going to have it the way I want it. If that means adding stock treats, then so be it. I just happened to buy a truck that was pretty much bare bones. If I were to do it all over agian, I'd start with a Sierra Grande, CST or Cheyenne.

Thus far, I've added a full set of tint glass, chrome vent windows, a cargo light, door jamb switches, tach, vacuum gauge (granted, NOT an option for 10-30 series trucks, but I wanted it), factory AM/FM radio from a '72 Cheyenne, chrome bumpers, steel wheels from '69 with OEM full wheel hubcaps (found out later they were for a '73+up which chaps my a$$ a little, but oh well), swapped the Edelbrock carb and intake with GM cast iron and a q-jet, added an HEI distributor (another non-original part), and deluxe marker lights just to name a few.

I'm as big a bone stock fan as you can get. What's your take on 'stock'? Do you think stock means as it rolled off the assembly line, or are you in the same camp as me, thinking that adding treats that my truck was not fortunate enough to come with is okay? I'm glad to hear you're a stock fan. We're few and far between!!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 PM   #5
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

It could be possible wih enough time and money I guess. But if it were me and I wanted the manual with a tilt, I would go with a floor shift and if I had the money just buy a tilt column for a manual transmission with no shifter on it, so I did not have to waste time on trying to fabricate one, but that's just me. As far as the "stock" thing goes, I would think that if an option was available for the accessory and it was time period correct then that should still be "stock". As far as "bone stock" then I would say that, that would be restoring it to it's original state as when it rolled off of the assembly line, with only the options that it originally had, as according to the glovebox spec. sheet.
Yellville, Ar. USA

Last edited by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72; 10-28-2003 at 01:37 PM.
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
palallin

Ah, I see. That's a fettle of kish of a different color.

I agree: stock or at least proper period. I'm not there yet, but that's my goal.

Ideally, I'd prefer to have a truck just as it left the factory. I cannot afford that goal yet, either in time or money. Someday, perhaps. In the meantime, I do everything I can to use parts of the proper range of years: no efi, no OD autotranny, no LEDs or that sort of thing. (My one concession to that rule is my bug shield :shrug:.) I don't know yet what I'm going to do about my desire for a mild lift.

The word "restoration" means to return something to its original state. Technically, mods of any kind mean the project is not a restoration but something else. I like the term "rejuvenation": making it young again, and that's how I think of what I've been doing to my truck.

I suppose I should have two trucks (and I may someday): one so bone stock that it needs calcium pills and one moderately modified for play with mostly period parts.

(As an OT note, the truck I'd really like to have just to go play in the mud/hills/rocks/trails is an M715, the Army 5/4 ton based on the Jeep pick up. It'd be stock, too, except for some kind of really torquey motor.)

Last edited by palallin; 10-28-2003 at 03:49 PM.
palallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:24 PM   #7
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

VTKidder and Palallin. You guys can both welcome to join the "Stock and Like a Rock" club!

I think my ultimate desire if I had the money and time would be to purchase a one-of-a-kind custom and convert it back to stock, just because I'm a mean spirited old bastard. You know the kind with every piece of metal massaged that get featured in magazines? After all, it's a 2-way street. :p

(flame suit on)

J/K

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:06 PM   #8
VTKidder

HAHAHA!!!! That is perhaps the funniest thing I've ever heard! Convert a 1-of-a-kind custom back to stock!!! HAHA!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:40 PM   #9
Fleetlover

Stock vs custom

Think your standard shift\ tilt column would be pretty tricky but maybe with a couple of cleverly integrated universal joints it could be done. Course it might be trickier to shift than a worn our stock three on the tree .
As to the stock vs custom question I like most all of them but like mildly modified stock myself . I think if you've got some rare piece it is a sin to chop it up for custom but for something as ( relatively) common as a 67 -72 ther's not any harm in doing what you like . I will say that these trucks are so nice lookin in their original form it would take a lot of chopping and fiddling with any other year\ brand to make them look 1\2 as nice . What I really like in any vehicle is when someone creates something themselves that is unique instead of buying and bolting . Guess this comes from being old enough to remember when you couldn't buy much of anything and had to make it if you wanted it. My pet peeve ? Those goofy giant wheels with litle skinny tires . Watch me get flamed now .LOL
resto started now suspended
1884 victorian home Current
restoration project
1997 GMC Sierra Z71
1973 Harley FLH undressed
1949 male body somewhat abused
but still starts most mornings
Fleetlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:32 PM   #10
Class of 69

VT...if your truck is a 2 wd, put a Muncie M20 4 speed in it, with a factory tilt column, and have something!! I bought a 69 GMC 4x4 with a 350,4speed,and T221 t-case. Came with the original closed knuckle, drum brake front axle. PO had added PS, and PB. I now have in my possession....complete Chev front clip, complete factory A/C pieces, including dash replacement, factory floor shift tilt, factory bucket seats, different box with wood floor, year matching 396, NP205 T-Case, and rare shifter that comes thru the floor in the original T221 location, 71 open knuckle DISC brake front axle, and chrome bumpers for both ends. To anyone seeing this truck drive down the street when it's done, it will look all original, which the pieces are!!! No repro, or aftermarket parts at all. But the truck will be safer with the disc brakes...more fun to drive with the 396, and turn heads everywhere it goes. It will be just as I would have spec'd it in 69 if all the pieces had been available. Who say's you can't have a 34 year old truck just the way you want it??!! It's my $12,000.00
Old 10-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #11
1969 GMC

hmm...i do like 100% stock trucks, but i have to modify some things to suit my tastes. for instance, i wanted a sliding rear window...so i bought an original and installed it. the p/o already added pb and HEI, which is good. i plan on buying an open knuckle dana 44 front, and some type of traction aide in the rear. also probably a 6" lift and 35's...but i WILL NOT hack the sheetmetal. that is one thing i refuse to do. i got a radio delete in the hole and the cd player in the gb...noooo hacking!
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:50 PM   #12
midyearvet@aol.

Non shifter tilt columns

I bought a non shifter tilt column for my 72 4X4 over the counter from GM in 1976 for $200.00. It's still in there!

Rick
midyearvet@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:19 AM   #13
VTKidder

I'd love an M21, but don't want to hack up the truck I've got. I really like the low hump in the floor, and the vintage feel of a column shift. Granted, the 3 on the tree is perhaps the worst invention in the world if all you want to do is grab gears and burn rubber. I think it has a certain appeal in an old truck, that's why I'll keep it.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #14
Class of 69

I'm glad you like the 3 on the tree, but i think you're out of luck on a tilt then. No, they aren't a bad shifter, if you're having problems with it, it needs to be rebuilt. My Dad bought a 67 new with a 3 on the tree, and I could grab 2nd gear as quick as a 4 hooker going from 2nd to 3rd!! Get it rebuilt, and PROPERLY adjusted, and you will find it almost shifts itself! No Bull! Just for your info, you leave the low hump in with a m-series 4 speed.
1969 GMC I agree, no hacking, my parts swap marathon is all bolt on original tin. Just a little mix-n-match get get it right!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:18 AM   #15
VTKidder

I'm not really sure how well it shifts to be honest; been so damn long since it's been on the open road (Dec. 1997 ). Around the driveway it seems fine, but you're right, I drove a '74 C-10 with a 250 the other day that was for sale, 58k original miles, and the shifting was much tighter than what I've got. I think it'd be pretty reasonable to get the entire column rebuilt, but I don't know where to get it done. I'm mechanically capable, so I might tackle it, who knows. More pressing issues to be had first.