The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
1972_Buford

Could it be the rusty gas???

In tracing my issues with the intermittent stalling and dying I think I have narrowed it down to the gas tank now. I pulled the fuel line to check the filter at the carb (rochester) and noticed the fuel was a bit red. I pumped some into a cup and noted small pieces of debris and it was dirty. I looked into the tank and saw the bottom 1/3 of the tank is covered in rust. (and yes some on here have told me to check this out but I am hard headed) I am guessing this is not good and could be why it stalls on me.

I have run it empty before and put fresh gas in it so I do not think there is an bad gas/varnish in there but the PO said it did sit for about a year.

My question is, wouldn't the rust clog the filter altogether and cause it not to run at all?? is this really why it runs awesome then dies about 20 minutes into the drive? (starts back up with some coaxing).

I am going to run as much as out as I can then pull the tank and get to scrubbing on it. I know I can buy a new tank but I don't want to spend the money on that right now as I plan on the camaro rear conversion on this in the summer.
1972_Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Could it be the rusty gas???

I had a similar problem with my 70. It turned out that the strainer on the fuel pickup tube was collapsing and cutting off the fuel.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
mking

I agree with the previous post. Check the sock on the bottom of the tank unit.
I would drain the tank, Clean it the best I could.
After re-insalling it, I'd put a Universal Inline filter in the line going to the Fuel pump. That way any rust that broke loose would be trapped in the inline filter and not clog the little one in the carb.
mking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Try putting a piece of chain and some dish detergent (with water)in the tank and rattling it around.Then rinse it out real good.It should knock the rust loose and help get it a bit cleaner.Use either a new sock on the pickup in the tank or a new sending unit with sock(or just do away with the sock and run an inline filter.Hopefully you haven't gotten too much trash in the carb running it with bad sediment in the lines.Dump a bottle of fuel drier or alcohol in the tank to help get rid of any residual moisture.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

If you have enough rust in your tank to cause the fuel to discolor, then you really have serious problem. Although you may be able to clean or replace the sock and put a in line filter on, this is going to haunt you for a long long time. My suggestion is to remove the tank drain as much of the fuel as you can and take it to a radiator shop and let them dip it for you. This will make sure all the rust is removed and there is nothing floating around. You can run fresh gas though it forever but you will always continue to have a problem.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
1972_Buford

I appreciate the responses. I will probably work on it this weekend. I still have about 5 gallons of gas in there and not sure how to dispose of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
bk2life
Account Suspended

install a new tank. that rust is all through-out your lines. replace that fuel filter. hopefully none got in the carb.

enjoy!
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
1972_Buford

I plan on a new tank next year so cleaning will have to suffice. I am going to blow out the lines and run a new filter maybe add one as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
rico7769
Hybrid67

had issues with replacing two carbs, fuel pump, and filters, and all hoses leading up to the engine because I took the easy road like you are talking about. 400.00 later, the 150.00 gas tank didn't seem so expensive. Lesson learned from experience. The chain in the tank is a great idea for a simple fix for now, I used a bunch of golf balls and my brother and I shook the hell out of the tank and drained it. It looked like orange mud and had a film on the top of the old gas. Dumped a gallon of carb cleaner in it afterward and let it dry out. Just passing on some tips on this one from the past.

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Bhelton

Just want to say that I clean gas and diesel tanks for a living and ethanol is a pain in the arse ! It's a gas that cleans rusty gas tanks in the ground and I've actually seen where it ruins pump if a company like ours don't go in and clean the tank. I would strongly advise on replacing older gas tanks or pulling them and cleaning them
Posted via Mobile Device
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
1972_Buford

A little update. I got the tank out and the bottom is scaly. I rubbed to see if it came off and it scrapped off very easily. I also do not have a sock on the end of the sending unit piece like mentioned before. I looked on LMC truck and I don't see one in their photos of the unit. Are we sure these year had a sock on the end? I am going to pull the fuel lines and blow through them with compressed air to see if they are gummed up. I am also going to pull the carb again and clean it all out again.

It seems like it isn't getting enough fuel on the top end so hopefully this will solve my issue. Also going to red-kote the tank after I get it all cleaned out. Hoped to have it all back together this weekend or next.

Any help with the sock question is much appreciated.
B-
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
b.eddy's72

I had the same issue with the 1st 67 that I had. A fuel filter would clog in about a day. I pulled the tank, put diesel in it, a hand full of nuts and bolts, and with help from my wifes cousin we shook it, rested, shook it, rested, drained it, put more diesel, shook it...........................you get the idea. (and there was a few beers between the shakey shakey) I put a new filter under the truck and another clear one right before the carb and after the first tank the red gas was gone. I had no other problems and I sold it and the new owner had no issue that I know of.

My father in law had the gas tank on his tractor vatted and epoxy coated and problems were history.

NOW............I now make about $50,000 a year more than I did than and that was a pain in the butt so the next one will get a new $150 tank.

Good Luck

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
1972_Buford

Thanks for the reply. Did you have a fuel sock in the tank at the fuel inlet? I just want to make sure that it isnt stuck in the fuel line i there is one or was one
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
b.eddy's72

yes there was one.................it didnt look like the new replacement but part of it was there.

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
69GWC

My new sending unit came with a sock on it, it was from LMC. I would buy a new tank for it and be done with it sounds like yours is pretty bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
1972_Buford

It actually isnt bad. Light rust. I think the sediment on the bottom of the tank is the old sock that deteriorated and dried on the bottom. I am going to clean it and red-kote it. I'll strain the gas that is in there now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
1972_Buford

Got the tank out. There is a very small amount of rust in the tank. What i found very interesting is a pile of crud right where the fuel sock should be. As said before, I think the sock deteriorated and piled up right where the pickup is at. Going to drain it and pour apple vinegar in it to clear out the crud. Then red kote it and it should be good to go.
-B
Posted via Mobile Device