The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
dhughins

power steering conversion ?

Ive searched on here and read so much I forgot what I read. So my question is I found a power steering box in a local junkyard (year unknown) 70-87ish, a pump and pulley and bracket. I'm gonna replace the pump with a new one other then making sure the fittings are same as gear box (sae vs metric) should I ask tor a certain year. You know how Autozone,Oreilly and other parts stores are. Is there any thing else I stock? Do I need some kinds bracket to mount gear box or does it mount same as stock?

I have a 69 with a 76 305 if any of that matters.
Posted via Mobile Device
dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: power steering conversion ?

Best bet is to get everything off of one truck.Replace what's needed.Get the hoses also.At some point (not sure what year,maybe someone will chime in) they went to metric fittings.The box should bolt right up(67 did not have the dimple/clearance in the frame for the PS box.).Use a pitman arm for a 69 with PS.The rag joint(between the column and box) on mine bolted up but I have seen where others had to mod.Once it's all in you can have a hydralic shop make hoses that are prettier.Make sure you get all the pulleys and brackets from the donor,don't forget the ones on the crank.
After it's all installed,jack the front end up and fill the PS pump and start it then turn it off and fill it again,start and turn lock to lock Then fill again.Keep filling and turning lock to lock until there's no foam when you take the cap off the pump.Shut it off and let it set a few minutes then do it again.Some claim the pump and/or box can be damaged if you don't get the air out of the system before putting a strain on it.I don't know,I've always done it as described.
The large nut on the back of the pump can be removed and installed in another pump to keep the fittings the same.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
dhughins

I have read that the fittings changed from sae to metric but have seen all different years that supposedly happened. The problem with your advice is the junkyard I'm getting it from already has it pulled. He has a shipping container full of parts. Has multiple steering boxes pumps etc. I'm including done pics of my engine bay if helpful. Since I have a 76 305 it already has a pulley on crank.

Well I was gonna include pics, but I can't figure out how on my iphone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
dhughins

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
dhughins

How is the pitman arm different?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
asolde

I am in the process of changing my 69 blazer from manual to power steering. Just trying to get all the correct parts is difficult. Gearbox and pittman arm are different, rag joint is different from manual. I got my hoses and rag joint from LMC, my pump from orielys auto parts store. Found a guy that had the brackets for the pump and paid dearly for them. I bought all my parts for a 1972 pick up hoping it will bolt up to my 69 blazer. I am going to bolt the pump/brackets/pulley up first and work on lining my pulley up with the crank shaft pulley first. Good luck
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The pitman arms differ in the size of the shaft that comes out of the PS gearbox.I used half the rag joint from my manual column and the half on the box I got from a wrecking yard.If you take the box and pump to a Hydralic shop they will be able to determine fittings but the hoses will depend on how they need routing in your application.Keep in mind that pumps differ in the location of the return lines and maybe the pressure line.
My suggestion is to mount the pump and get your alignmant right before installing the box.Hoses are going to be a chore for you but by taking them by the hydralic shop you will at least know what fittings you need where.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is a little help for you.

....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216886

Here is some threads on the subject.

.....http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 02-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
dhughins

So after reading this ive seen some post about using u joints instead of rag joints. Any of y'all try this? I read something about 13/16 and 3/4 inch shafts. Is that dependent on year model.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
brad_man_72
the boat guy

You can put a sae fitting in a metric ps pump. So you won't need to have custom hoses made.
Posted via Mobile Device
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
dhughins

Can anyone identify this power steering box. I was told mid80s. I hope it ain't a 4wd model. Should I use the pitman arm that is on it?
Posted via Mobile Device