The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
jks67ss396

exhaust routing... outside frame or before tire?

Guys

Im putting a larger tank in the back of my 71 lwb fleetside and the exhaust is too close. Right now, each side exits behind the tires sorta stock like. I am thinking of routing the pipes either on the outside of the frame and between the frame and tire and then out at the current spot OR out in front of the rear tires.

Ive read about people complaining about noise, but id do some real quiet mufflers.

Any thoughts? pics would be great too

thanks
jeff
jks67ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
sir_talk_alot

Re: exhaust routing... outside frame or before tire?

i would route it outside the frame rails, but make sure its tucked up, my pipes sit down abit and you see it from the headers back. i did the in front of the tire thing and didnt care for it because its just alittle close to the cab and with the windows down its a bit noisy. i would route it straight back under the bumper, gives it a clean look and puts the sound behind you which makes it nice with cruising. im going all the way back and straight out for a clean dual exhaust look, but im going to have electric cutouts on mine since im building a street pounding engine.

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I never route it outside the frame. That means "under the frame" somewhere. There's always a better way. Pipes out before the rear tires will work fine with quiet mufflers. I never minded the sound with louder mufflers. The only time it's really loud is with the window down driving next to a wall or other large object. And that just gives a chance to hear your baby roar

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
DjS71

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
And that just gives a chance to hear your baby roar
I agree with this, my '99 has some of the awful droning flowmasters, but it is quiet most times and sounds awesome next to barriers.