The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Boss hawg

Choosing air suspension

Ok I'm really at a loss here because I have never experienced with air suspension before.... Always wanted to just never had the money when I was younger. Since I've never had any experience I have no idea what to choose. My truck is a 1954 chevy with c4 front suspension and at the moment it has the stock rear but I'm wanting to put a c4 rear in it too. I like the idea of independent suspension all the way around. I originally wanted to use shockwaves or some air over shock front and rear but from what research I've done you can only really ride at one height I'm assuming.... I want my truck to be able to get low without having to rip my bed apart to much ( I don't mind putting some tubs in for wheel clearance). I also would like to cruise low.... Not run down the hwy at 55 low but cruising through town and without having the truck to where it sets down all the way deflated with the shockwaves and rides really low aired up I'm not sure i would be able to do it using them.

So therefore I'm kind of stumped on which way to go at this point. Maybe since I put it all out there what I'm looking to accomplish and willing to sacrifice I may be able to get some useful opinions which I would really appreciate at this point. If I have left out anything that may lead to better and or more opinions please feel free to ask me to Include any information needed cause I'm about sick of googling everything and researching with little to no results.

Thank, Aaron
Posted via Mobile Device
Boss hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Choosing air suspension

I believe the shockwaves should get you low enough it just depends your wheel size on how low it will go.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Boss hawg

But with shock waves will I only be able to set it down when stationary? With the ride height at a decent height for say... Speed bumps or what not will I still be able to ride low. It doesn't seem there are many options on the height you ride around on them cause apparently everything could and it does cause damage and is non warrantable according to what ridetechs information says. Im having a really difficult time explaining exactly what I'm picturing I guess. The only video I've seen of how much up and down was a Tahoe on 26s and it was jacked up like a sky scraper with them air and looked sorta normal without.... But he wouldn't have been able to drive with it at its normal stance cause the the bump stops in the bag would hit from what I read. They are awful expensive to be buying just to see if they will work or not. If I had a little more info I would be fine with pulling the trigger probably. And I have emailed ridetech and explained the same thing asking what their suggestions were and the only response I got was "we don't offer a kit for corvette, it would have to be custom"..... after me saying it would be custom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Boss hawg

I may be chasing my tail in a circle here who knows....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Your going to need to discuss this with some one at RideTech since you have an application and IFS thats most of us are not familiar with.

I understand you want to be able to air out and cruise low and slow. I also get that your wanting a low ride height. With that said, I can tell you that Shockwaves have a limited range of travel. From what I know they are probably not the best choice for the perimeters you describe.

I would call RideTech and get their input.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Boss hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Your going to need to discuss this with some one at RideTech since you have an application and IFS thats most of us are not familiar with.

I understand you want to be able to air out and cruise low and slow. I also get that your wanting a low ride height. With that said, I can tell you that Shockwaves have a limited range of travel. From what I know they are probably not the best choice for the perimeters you describe.

I would call RideTech and get their input.
Ok ill try calling them. I already emailed them and they didn't have much of a response but maybe if I'm on the phone with them it will shed a little clarity on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Boss hawg

In the mean time does anyone have any other suggestions? Do you have to have shocks with a regular bag? I don't really want a big pancake bag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
ulakovic22

Can you currently drive your truck around or is it up on blocks? If it's driveable do you like the current ride height? If it's not driveable can you put a wheel tire/fender on it and cycle the suspension to get the stance you are looking for? After you get it to your desired ride height measure the distance between your mounting points and that will tell you how much room you have to work with. If you can find a Shockwave that will work great, if not then you need to look at moving your mounting points.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
jimmydean

Yes, you need shocks with a regular bag because it is a spring (only air vs coil or leaf) and has no way to refrain from bouncing.

Nate uses Shockwaves with Corvette front/rear and it is an amazing design. But the cantilever rear design takes up a lot of room. Yes, the Corvette setup is bad ass (was going to do it in my '66) but the cost of the Shockwaves were a limiting budget factor for me.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
busterwivell

Call RideTech. Ask for Rodney or Danny............they'll help any way they can.........very knowledgeable, friendly, and back up what they sell.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Boss hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
Can you currently drive your truck around or is it up on blocks? If it's driveable do you like the current ride height? If it's not driveable can you put a wheel tire/fender on it and cycle the suspension to get the stance you are looking for? After you get it to your desired ride height measure the distance between your mounting points and that will tell you how much room you have to work with. If you can find a Shockwave that will work great, if not then you need to look at moving your mounting points.
It's not driveable yet I'm still in the building process but as soon as I get past this stage I shouldn't be to far from it. I will take what you into consideration.... I had read somewhere before similar to what your saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Boss hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Yes, you need shocks with a regular bag because it is a spring (only air vs coil or leaf) and has no way to refrain from bouncing.

Nate uses Shockwaves with Corvette front/rear and it is an amazing design. But the cantilever rear design takes up a lot of room. Yes, the Corvette setup is bad ass (was going to do it in my '66) but the cost of the Shockwaves were a limiting budget factor for me.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking you would and tried to tell a friend it would need them and he argued with me. The guys without and the ones you see bouncing all over the road I'm sure!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Boss hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
Call RideTech. Ask for Rodney or Danny............they'll help any way they can.........very knowledgeable, friendly, and back up what they sell.
The first time I spoke with josh and it was only to ask if they had gotten my email because it hasn't been replied to yet and josh was the one that emailed me. I tried calling a couple times today and only got a machine but when I get a hold of someone ill be sure and ask for either one, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Boss hawg

How would one go about running a bag and a shock? Any trucks or cars I've ever seen bagged weren't done right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
Boss hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss hawg View Post
How would one go about running a bag and a shock? Any trucks or cars I've ever seen bagged weren't done right.
Posted via Mobile Device
On a corvette suspension that is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #16
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

A Corvette uses a transverse leaf spring, so bags aren't an option on the back without some fabbing. The front will need to have plates added for the bags to mount to, but your alignment is going to be wonky at full drop.

ShockWaves are the best/easiest route for you BUT, they are larger in circumference than a regular shock, so you may have clearance problems. It's been a while since I've looked at a C4 suspension, but I think they will work. You will find the dimensions/specs on RideTech.com, but as others have said the RT guys will have the scoop on what will work.

Now, the drawbacks of the ShockWaves have been mentioned already, but you can ride low as long as you don't hit any big potholes. They are adjustable within a range of 3 to 4 inches so you'll be able to find a suitable height for cruise and drive. The e3 controller allows for 3 presets so changing heights happens in a matter of seconds with the press of a button.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #17
andrewmp6

Get the truck at a mock up ride height you want and call ridetech they will ask for a lot of measurements to know what you can use.Or you can try their forum http://www.ridetech.com/forum/
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Boss hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Get the truck at a mock up ride height you want and call ridetech they will ask for a lot of measurements to know what you can use.Or you can try their forum http://www.ridetech.com/forum/
Thanks I didn't know they had a forum
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Boss hawg

After posting on ridetech forum they made a suggestion for a shockwave to use. It has a 4" stroke and he also said to keep in mind the travel motion can make for 6-8" of wheel travel. Anyone know anything about the best way to mount to get the most travel out of them?
Posted via Mobile Device