The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
agnes the dog

Alignment issue or other problem?

I recently swapped my stock front axle for a 3" drop axle. In the swap, I also changed to much newer spring packs and a much stiffer tie rod with newer style ends. I used the stock drag link and steering arm. The truck tracks straight down the road until I give it moderate throttle, then it will pull significantly to the left. Letting off the throttle after that will cause the truck to pull back to the left. Is this an alignment issue or am I feeling bump steer? I have not yet taken the truck to get an alignment done mostly because I don't want to have to pay for another alignment if I should be looking elsewhere in the steering/suspension first.

The truck did not exhibit this symptom before the swap, so I'm assuming that I have created this condition somehow in the swap. The old springs and bushings were worn out badly, perhaps masking some condition?

I do have an adjustable drag link that came with the parts deal, but it appears to be several inches shorter than the stock drag link. Does length matter (referring to drag link, haha)? With the adjustable link, I could simply flip it to the bottom side of the steering arm and most likely get my drag link more parallel to the frame. I didn't want to try it since it was so much shorter than the stock piece.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first attempt at steering/suspension mods, so I'm just learning about this stuff. Couldn't find what I needed in a search.

JJ
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Alignment issue or other problem?

Sounds link the drag link, When you get on it the front lifts and due to the length of the drag link it makes it turn and returns when its back down. And it does need to be as parallel as possible
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
agnes the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Sounds link the drag link, When you get on it the front lifts and due to the length of the drag link it makes it turn and returns when its back down. And it does need to be as parallel as possible
That makes sense. My drag link is not at a drastic angle now. I can't post pics until tonight. Would a little bit of an angle cause this condition? It would seem that if I flip drag link mount to under the steering arm (now mounted on top side of steering arm as stock), it would be more parallel.

If drag link length is significant, would there be any safety issues to cutting the adjustable drag length and welding in a section? The adjustable link appears to be a threaded steel pipe. Obviously, I would prefer to make a new section of pipe, but it's standard thread on one end and reverse thread on the other. Not sure how I'd get that done. I checked with my local machine shop and they don't have a reverse threading tap.
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes the dog View Post
That makes sense. My drag link is not at a drastic angle now. I can't post pics until tonight. Would a little bit of an angle cause this condition? It would seem that if I flip drag link mount to under the steering arm (now mounted on top side of steering arm as stock), it would be more parallel.

If drag link length is significant, would there be any safety issues to cutting the adjustable drag length and welding in a section? The adjustable link appears to be a threaded steel pipe. Obviously, I would prefer to make a new section of pipe, but it's standard thread on one end and reverse thread on the other. Not sure how I'd get that done. I checked with my local machine shop and they don't have a reverse threading tap.
If you have a short link to begin with it magnifies the effects of it not being level. I'll bet that if you hit a large bump the truck will go left and when it comes down hard it goes right then centers out.

You can purchase left a hand tap or have a machine shop do it for you.
Option 2 is cut the existing adjuster in half and weld it to a large enough tube so the threads will clear inside. You want a few inches of thread past the lock nut
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote