The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
NuttinSpecial

trying to put in 55 chevy truck dash

so the dash out of the 55-59 shevy trucks is my favorite dash out of any vehicle EVER. because the guage cluster is so unique and you know them when you see em. i fount a cowl section with just the fire wall and dash attached on craigslist. its in good shape and been sand blasted and the guys only askin $100 so im going to try to scoop it up.

what i am probably going to have to cut it in half and tac the edges in and make a piece to fill in the center section. and i was wonderin how you guys would go about filling in that center section and gettin it to match the shape of the rest of the dash?

couldnt find anyone who has done this but did find some one whou put in a 55 bel air dash in and did it about the same way. and they are shaped pretty similarly so it will give you guys an idea of what im talkin about. i want to work on my metal fab skills so im going to try and do it my self. if worse comes to worse i got some one who can do it for me if i manage to crash and burn with this.

here is some pics just to show you guys what im talkin about
thanks for any help guys.

(the pic of the truck dash isnt the one im tryin to buy, just for illistrative purposes lol)
Attached Images

NuttinSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: trying to put in 55 chevy truck dash

Looking good so far mate, how are you going to deal with the wrap round ends??

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
CURSED GEARS

Hotrod guys do this sort of thing all the time. Things like 51 ford dashes into Model A's. You might check out some hot rod sites and see how they do it. You could even find some top chops to follow along with to see how they make pillars and window moldings fit after they chop up the pieces. This may give you an idea. My hats off to you for thinking outside of the box.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
NuttinSpecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
Looking good so far mate, how are you going to deal with the wrap round ends??
Well that one in the last 3 pics are not mine i was just usin the pics to show you guys what im gonna have to do thats a 55-57 bel air dash. The dash i want to put in my c10 is the one in the first pic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
NuttinSpecial

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
NuttinSpecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURSED GEARS View Post
Hotrod guys do this sort of thing all the time. Things like 51 ford dashes into Model A's. You might check out some hot rod sites and see how they do it. You could even find some top chops to follow along with to see how they make pillars and window moldings fit after they chop up the pieces. This may give you an idea. My hats off to you for thinking outside of the box.
Thats a good idea i didnt think about checkin to see how they do it in other vehicles. Im gonna look into that. And yeah im gonna get it done one way or another. I been thinkin about it for a long time and its like destiny the way one popped up on craigslist for me thats ready to go lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
bigsnookmaster

Unless you've done some serious fabricating before, I wouldn't try to learn on this. It is certainly do able, though. I'm only sayin this because I have seen people try things that are a little too much, then they end up backing out of the project, or end up with some scrap metal. Practice and knowledge are key to doing this type of work! Good luck!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
NuttinSpecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
Unless you've done some serious fabricating before, I wouldn't try to learn on this. It is certainly do able, though. I'm only sayin this because I have seen people try things that are a little too much, then they end up backing out of the project, or end up with some scrap metal. Practice and knowledge are key to doing this type of work! Good luck!
This is true but i have a friend who does lots of metal fab and paint and body and he is gonna help me out and if worse comes to worse he'll be there to take over for me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
tow guys

Looks like a great project and a killer idea! Can't wait to see some progress shots. Best of luck!

Tony
tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
GruntMoanCough

Having two dashes to work with would be ideal, to make up for the missing width.
Also, I would consider cutting off center to maybe save the radio opening.
Good luck with the mod!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
NuttinSpecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMoanCough View Post
Having two dashes to work with would be ideal, to make up for the missing width.
Also, I would consider cutting off center to maybe save the radio opening.
Good luck with the mod!
That would be ideal but unfortunately its not everyday you come across a 55-59 truck dash by itself. Ive been surfin craigslist for months and this is the first one ive seen on there and i got extremely lucky its only 30 min away. Luckily i have a dad who has done dash swaps before so he can help me. The gap will only be like 3-4 inches so hopefully it wont be too bad, but dont get me wrong, if i come across another one at a swap meet or somethin ill snatch it up. Anyway if all goes well ill have my dash by this time toomarrow. So hope fully i can get it home and you guys will have a thread to look forward too
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
67mater

my 2 cents from having done dash swap in a nova before. Start with the column location. Everything drives from that. you need the gauge centered of the column. Then see how to adjust the ends to match the A pillar. If you cant find a second dash to give up patches, you'll have to fabricate the bends. I would also say if it was me, I'd try to run the countour of the center all the way to the ends and not have any wrap on the ends. the A pillars dont support it. Take your time and good luck!!

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
57larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mater View Post
my 2 cents from having done dash swap in a nova before. Start with the column location. Everything drives from that. you need the gauge centered of the column. Then see how to adjust the ends to match the A pillar. If you cant find a second dash to give up patches, you'll have to fabricate the bends. I would also say if it was me, I'd try to run the countour of the center all the way to the ends and not have any wrap on the ends. the A pillars dont support it. Take your time and good luck!!
X's 2. I put a passenger car 55 dash into a 55 truck, didn't have to section it, looks good, most people thinks it's stock
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
RManson

Hope this helps!

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ant/index.html
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
jtp67-72

I'm doing this now with a 55 belair dash-but the process is same -just as stated above the steering alignment is critical and u work from there--the wraps won't work on our truck-U can see that in your '55 dash pics-
I say go for it--I love DIFFERENT!!!!!............jim
jtp67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #16
NuttinSpecial

wow im amazed and glad to see all the support and positive feedback from everyone, im definately taking everything you guys say into consideration. you guys have been a big help. thanks for everything
and for you guys sayin i cant use the curving edges at both ends i actually have somethin in mind that i really hope works

where it starts to get in the way of the door i want to cut it of and cap it and then weld the rest to the door and cap the part that will go on the door that way when the doors are closed it looks like the full dash. i found a pic that can explain what im talkin about. i think i saw somewhere that said its an s-10 the dash is out of a bel air but its alot like the truck dash
Attached Images

Last edited by NuttinSpecial; 08-29-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
jtp67-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttinSpecial View Post
wow im amazed and glad to see all the support and positive feedback from everyone, im definately taking everything you guys say into consideration. you guys have been a big help. thanks for everything
and for you guys sayin i cant use the curving edges at both ends i actually have somethin in mind

where it starts to get in the way of the door i want to cut it of and cap it and then weld the rest to the door and cap the part that will go on the door that way when the doors are closed it looks like the full dash. i found a pic that can explain what im talkin about. i think i saw somewhere that said its an s-10 the dash is out of a bel air but its alot like the truck dash
Thought that 2 until I looked at door installed....door metal is 2-3" below dash line....in other words u turn the corner U hit GLASS! On the 55 belair dash it looks good just ran into jamb--almost factory...using 2 dashes...pics coming soon..............jim
jtp67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
NuttinSpecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp67-72 View Post
Thought that 2 until I looked at door installed....door metal is 2-3" below dash line....in other words u turn the corner U hit GLASS! On the 55 belair dash it looks good just ran into jamb--almost factory...using 2 dashes...pics coming soon..............jim
hmmm hadnt looked at that yet, well ill worry about it when i get there but yeah lookin forward to seein some pis of yours!!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
Gokart Mozart

How's it going?
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote