The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Chevy2013

Need advice hauling vehicle from Oklahoma

This is my first post and apologize if it's in the wrong area. I just purchased a 62 short box in Oklahoma in the Tulsa area and need to get it brought up to the the Buffalo area. I thought about trying to drive it but no sure the old girl would make it. Does anyone know of a reputable company in that area that will ship it back to me? I'm hoping it can be done for under $900.

Thanks all
Posted via Mobile Device
Chevy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
LT1 Burb

Re: Need advice hauling vehicle from Oklahoma

You would be better off to spend 500-600 doing a good tune up and brake job etc and driving it home. That way it will be done anyways and you get a good road trip out of it. I drove my suburban from Flagstaff AZ to Vancouver BC and I knew nothing about the truck and it never missed a beat. I didn't even have a spare tire, I know it sounds daunting but there is so many automotive shops on the way that will help.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
McCoyAZ

My suggestion would be for you to Google "Auto Transport Companies" and search the long distance guys.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
63burban4x4

check at Yesterday's Tractor.com, there is a page for folks looking for hauling & hauling gigs. I recently hauled my 63 suburban from Mass to Kansas City, rented a U-Haul car hauler to do it. With the rental, 5 days on the road, and fuel, it probably cost me near 1K, but I picked up some backhauling of small farm equipment, which I got about $450 for, offsetting my cost.
We also had my wife's Camry hauled from Mass to Northern Colorado a few months ago, by a shipper, they charged about $1200.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Chevy2013

Thanks for the responses. I am seriously considering driving it back but I imagine it would turn out like a scene from planes,trains and automobiles!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
jayoldschool

Contact Roy at Transport Time. Well reviewed here on this forum (and from everyone else, too!). He got my 65 from Arkansas to upstate NY.

http://transporttime.com/

http://www.transportreviews.com/comp...sport-time.asp

Read some reviews on other shippers/brokers. Many horror stories...
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
McCoyAZ

Headman INC specializes in transporting Cars, SUVs, Semi-Trucks, Boats, Heavy Equipments within all 48 States. All Carriers within our Network are fully licensed and Insured. We are fully bonded. We will get you the best price possible. We will pick up your vehicles from the Auction, Car Dealerships or Residence. We also have TWIC Card Certified Drivers that will deliver your vehicles to the Port. We also ship vehicles to the Middle East, Africa and Europe. We are licensed by Federal Department of Transportation (DOT)

DID WE MENTION YOU CAN ALSO TRACK YOUR SHIPMENT VIA OUR WEBSITE?

Click on the link to request a Quote today: http://www.headmandirect.com/index.p...id=2&Itemid=62

Toll Free: 1-800-404-9534
Fax: 708-367-9986
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Don't be shy to ask some boat haulers. I use to haul boats and we would be looking for loads to cover the fuel cost back. I would look for a stinger setup and have a flatbed towtruck back up to the trucks deck and roll in on.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2013 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am seriously considering driving it back but I imagine it would turn out like a scene from planes,trains and automobiles!
I can take a look at it for you and see how good or bad it is IMO. Kieth

in Tulsa, Oklahoma call me 918-630-4665 cell.......
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
MikeS.

Be sure to post some pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
camaro_red

Talk to Cindy at Sweet Logistics 949-456-2184..tell her Joe from up in BC sent ya!...She was awesome to deal with..good price and great people to deal with..She shipped my 72 Chevy from Nebraska up to Blaine Washington..I then trailered it home
Attached Images

camaro_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Chevy2013

Thanks for all the advice..I hooked up with a reference provided from this forum. I will let you know how I make out.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
ChefCy

i am still looking to haul my 63 from Vegas to Houston (non running) I have tried USHIP and have gotten outrageous quotes but still cheaper than if i rent a uhaul and trailer and make the 3000 mile round trip (gas, food etc) and still cheaper than if i fly and rent one way.
Looks like i will be borrowing a trailer and begging a friend to road trip to vegas with his navigator.
ChefCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
chopper john

chefCy. i have a friend out of riverside ca. that always travels east empty. he has customers that buy all over. especially in the east. so if ur patient and he is goin g empty to pick up in the east. then im sure he can help you out. if any of you are interested in shipping from west to east and are in no major hurry i know he can help. and he specializes in transporting classic cars, vintage dragsters, and any cool old ride you can think of.
chopper john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
Rogue 64
Ol' Blue Viking

Check T&A Transport!
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=635739
Ben hauls classics all over and is well regarded in the Hot Rod community.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #16
Brad54

How are your mechanical abilities?
If you're fairly competent and can diagnose problems, short of driving over your crankshaft, there's no reason you can't drive it home.
I flew to Joplin, MO (actually KC) and drove my Suburban back to Atlanta with my 10 year old son and a basic tool kit. We gave it a tune-up before leaving, replaced the plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, bled the brakes and bought new tires for it.
I also bought a Corvair station wagon in Indiana a couple years ago, flew up and drove it home.
I also bought a '73 Duster from California and drove it home, too... the Mopar gave me fits the whole way back home... I some points on the trip I used duct tape and the file on my nail clipper to get it back on the road.

If you're confident in your abilities, go have an adventure!

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #17
ZUBZ

Drive her down...

I will post pictures up soon, I am also planning to tow a non runner c10 about 1000km's (620 miles).

My 1970 C10 Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542560
ZUBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
bmur66

You need to be careful and understand how these online transport companies work that bid on your job. Some websites will give you "quotes" from maybe 10 different transport companies. THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL QUOTES. Most of these outfits are not actual shippers. THEY ARE BROKERS. They will post your job where truckers find their jobs. They will post at a low price and hope that a trucker picks it up. They will up their posted price every couple days until a trucker picks it up. If the price gets up to what the broker quoted you then quess what? You have wasted several weeks and you are going to get a phone call telling you that the price went up because they can't get anyone to haul it at that price.
Your best bet is to talk to shipping companies directly. Some are straight shooters and will tell you what it's going to take to move your vehicle. Others not so much. Don't deal with anyone that will take any of your money until all shipping arrangements have been made.
I shipped my '65 GMC from SoCal to NY. This has been my experience and I hope it helps someone.

P.S. If you can't get someone on the phone when you are trying to hire a shipper then what do you think it's going to be like if there is a problem?
bmur66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
63burban4x4

^^^what he said.
When we were looking to ship my wife's Camry, we did use one of these brokers.....and the price we settled on WAS more than the prices we were INITIALLY quoted. (although we had settled on the final price before signing on with the final shipper) This seemed to be due to the fact that the destination was up in the Rocky Mt. Front Range. We also found that once we had been quoted (and apparently posted) with a broker, everyone we contacted directly already knew of our interest, due to the posting by the broker.

Eventually we settled on a shipper, got our price and arrangements firmly set, including checking references, insurance, DOT compliance, etc., and from then on it worked out just as they said. We were satisfied with the results, the car was picked on time, and delivered on time, undamaged. The broker expected a deposit of around 10% I think, we used a credit card, and the shipper himself did require cash on delivery for the balance.

If I were shipping a classic car or very valuable vehicle, I would look for someone who specializes in this type of vehicle, and probably avoid the broker system. For a run-of-the-mill 96 Camry, the broker system seemed to work OK, and probably resulted in us getting the best exposure to our needs, and price, without having to do a lot of searching ourselves. Like "Bmur66" says, just understand how these brokers work. Just our experience, Caveat emptor.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
richards72chevy

I was thinking about hauling my 69 impala with a truck from California to Oklahoma when I first moved here but my uncle talked me into driving it.Im glad he did.I remember at a gas station a vintage sports car club kind of making fun of my impala.You should have seen the look on there faces when I flew pass them climbing a grade.Priceless.Im shure there is reputable shops in the Tulsa area that can do the brake and mechanical work for you.Its going to have to be done anyways.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
Chevy2013

Update: I contacted Roy form Transport Time and got the truck delivered within 5 days of contacting him. The only issue was the driver didn't speak a word of english which made for an ackward exchange, but other than that it went smoothly. Thanks to all for their input.