The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
solarnick

Porterbuilt Stage 1 Basic Front Issue

I've mocked up and installed my Porterbuilt Stage 1 Basic Front Kit and I'm having an issue with the bag rubbing the lower shock bolt starting with half compression to full compression of the bag. So far I've only completed the install on the passenger side.

I have included pictures of the mock up of the shock bracket and the upper bag plate. Then pictures of the bag installed extended, followed by partially and fully compressed. As you can see the bolt head on the lower shock mount digs into the bag pretty good at half to fully compressed. Plus at full compression the shock starts to hit the tab of its mount.

I know I won't be fully compressed except when I'm aired out, not when riding down the road, but I'm concerned about the bag rubbing at just half of the travel and further. No the bolt won't make it into the shock tube in the other direction...the control arm gets in the way.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

solarnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Square_78

Re: Porterbuilt Stage 1 Basic Front Issue

What bags are those? They look huge. Looks to me like your upper bag mount needs to move forward a bit maybe an inch so it lines up with the lower coil spring cup. I had dominator D2600 bags in the front of my truck and they were no where near the shock mount.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Square_78

Your control arms look like they are really far forward compared to the crossmember top bag mount. Are the control arms centered properly with that big dowel pin thing that goes into the lower control arm shaft? Something is definitely wrong. And those bigs still look gigantic to me for some reason. Either the control arm need to come back or the upper bag mount needs to come way forward. Do not drive it the way it is. You can see in the second pic that the bag is not lined up properly. The top mount is way too far to the back of the truck. That's causing the bag to be pushed into the shock mount when u air it down. Bag top and bottom center point should be straight up and down and yours isn't. You have something put together wrong.

Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497

Last edited by Square_78; 06-17-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
bodydropped68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Your control arms look like they are really far forward compared to the cross member top bag mount. Are the control arms centered properly with that big dowel pin thing that goes into the lower control arm shaft? Something is definitely wrong. And those bigs still look gigantic to me for some reason. Either the control arm need to come back or the upper bag mount needs to come way forward. Do not drive it the way it is. You can see in the second pic that the bag is not lined up properly. The top mount is way too far to the back of the truck. That's causing the bag to be pushed into the shock mount when u air it down. Bag top and bottom center point should be straight up and down and yours isn't. You have something put together wrong.

Posted via Mobile Device
Ya in the first picture it looks like the locating hole on the lower shaft is facing down and is way forward of the dowel location in the cross member that would cause your issue.
bodydropped68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
solarnick

My lower control arm dowel is in the proper location. The only thing I can figure is the bag mounts were drilled wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Bend the two tabs on the control arm a bit rearward so they're leaning back towards the upper shock mount more. That will buy you a good bit of clearance as well as lining up the upper and lower mount points better.

You will likely need to oblong the bolt hole a bit though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
cdowns

it wood make good sence to call the manufacturer for feedback tips and customer relations . they got your money right??
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
vegadesign

i had the same setup and same bags when i first bagged the front of mine and i never had that problem
i still had a good 3/4" of clearance
i say just bend it a tad
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564028
vegadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
solarnick

Upon further inspection, my brand new lower control arm shafts have the dowel hole drilled 1/2" further back than the original which I replaced due to excessive slop.I'm headed to the parts store again to find a proper replacement. I'm hoping everything will line up after that. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Square_78

A lot of people do that as a mod to add caster to the alignment. But in your case it's causing your bags to rub. Too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You do have the dimple for the dowel was located on the front saddle?
Also what size bag is that Dominator?
2B7 or bigger?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
solarnick

So after taking my new lower control arm shafts back to the parts store, I discovered that the dowel holes were indeed drilled in a different spot. The tech helped me look at a picture of the more expensive Moog ones. And sure enough the dowel is in the right spot. They came in later that day thankfully.

Here is a picture of the passenger side all done up. Now just to get to the other side and put the brakes together.

Always something.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Square_78

Glad you sorted it out.
Posted via Mobile Device