The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
superwade57

73(75)-80 core support help

I know 73-74 supports are different in several ways not sure if this is one of them thus the parenthesis...that being said. I believe 3 different radiator options were available. 2 core 3 core 4 core. This is regarding the 4. Core which has a different mount system than the other two. Its a flat piece that screws/ bolts to the top of the core support into what appears to be internally threaded rivets? I'm retro-fitting a 4core radiator and mount into a 2/3 core core support. How do I duplicate/ replicate those threaded rivets? With out welding a.nut to the bottom, keeping in mind you can only access the under side of this part of the core support with the core support split into several pieces and that's too much of a PIA every time I wanna take the radiator out for some reason. Here's some pics with descriptions. Is there some sort of an expandable threadment?
Posted via Mobile Device
superwade57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
77dwh

Re: 73(75)-80 core support help

it takes a nutsert tool to put them in. I bought mine from snap on a couple years ago. I have bought the inserts from napa and carquest though.
77dwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
superwade57

Sorry for the lack of pics my phone freaked out. Well I'm not buying one for 4 nutsets.... so I either need to find one to borrow close an alternative. ...maybe someone really nice on this board will lend one out. And ill check eBay. Thanks for the quick accurate response!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Wade, you can install the inserts with a nut and bolt. Make sure you get a nut that will go through all of the threads. Run the nut all the way up on the bolt, then thread it through the insert. hold the bolt head, and loosen the nut, pulling the bolt up with the insert. Be careful not to pull the threads out of the insert, as they are usually aluminum (hence the longer bolt to engage all of the threads). Hopefully this makes sense reading it.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
superwade57

Yup makes sense! Thanks! Always good info from you jonboy. Where can I get these inserts and what size for the stock bolt screws 16-5/16?
Posted via Mobile Device