The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
ReeseBobby

New disc axle installed, do I really need to change the MC and booster?

I recently completed the replacement of my original 10 bolt and Dana 44 on my power drum brake K20. The new front Dana is a 73' and has disc brakes. I kept my existing brake lines, hoses, booster, and master cylinder, and I don't know if I am going to have a problem. I replaced the block with an actual proportioning valve because of rear brake lock. The brakes are better than they were, and I'm comfortable with how they work.

By leaving the rest of the system as is, am I ignoring safety? Everything seems to work as it should. What would I gain by adding a new booster and MC, if anything? I just want the truck to be safe, and work as well as possible, but don't want to spend a bunch of time and money on a problem that doesn't exist. Am I headed for trouble? Brake guru's, the floor is yours....
ReeseBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
mgchevyparts

Re: New disc axle installed, do I really need to change the MC and booster?

You'll be fine. The things to check with a drum master:1) front brakes drag=internal residual pressure valve, can be removed if present. Yours doesn't have one as they are not dragging. 2) smaller reservoirs of drum brake master will require topping off fluid in the future as the pads wear out, this is due to the disc pistons being much larger then drum cylinders, just top off as necessary.
Line diameter makes no difference.
As you found out every thing works.