The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Anti-Ricer

cut cut

well I decided that I'm going to lower the 65 but cutting the coils.I done it on my 74 Nova.My 2000 mustang GT and a few foxbodies mustangs with no issues at all.the Foxbodies and the 2000 GT hsve pig tails in the back coils. I'm just wondering how much should I cut? I want it LOW but not so low that my tires rub.if it will help ill post my tire size front and rear.I know not to go more than 2 coils.I have a v8 in the front which adds weight.so can someone tell me where to sfsrt on cutting the coils as how much to cut from each.btw this is temporary im doing it just for tgr rodrun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Anti-Ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
tincan1966

Re: cut cut

Isn't this about the 3rd thread about cutting your coils and lowering this truck?

Question has been asked and answered several times.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Anti-Ricer

Alright I'll check some more sir
Anti-Ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Downlow2xfo

I cut my one ton springs a coil and a half and it was too low to drive. It has a 305 v6 which are notoriously heavy so I ended up bagging it. I've heard all kind of stuff but if I had to do it again start with one coil the go and extra half at the time till you get what u want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Downlow2xfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

What tincan1966 is trying to say in a polite way, is; you don't have to start another thread asking the same question again.
If you continue to use your original thread, or the thread another member linked you to in your other thread, it has greater longterm results for other members.
If a member is doing research on cutting coils, he can find the info in one well discussed thread, instead of scattered about in several duplicate threads.
Now, I'm not just directing my post at you, but for a more general audience of members who have questions.
I don't want to discourage members from asking questions or starting threads, but if we use the FAQ and/or post in an existing thread that is on the topic, we help keep the forums more consolidated. Topics are better covered if the discussion is continued in an already existing thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
LVPhotos

Do it right and buy the rear coils. Not safe to have a floating spring. Even my air bags where $300. You can save that much by not drinking beer for a month (week for some).
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
LVPhotos

$329 WITH SHOCKS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
19666Trucker

dont forget cut the bumpstop, when cut the front
19666Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
tincan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
What tincan1966 is trying to say in a polite way, is; you don't have to start another thread asking the same question again.
If you continue to use your original thread, or the thread another member linked you to in your other thread, it has greater longterm results for other members.
If a member is doing research on cutting coils, he can find the info in one well discussed thread, instead of scattered about in several duplicate threads.
Now, I'm not just directing my post at you, but for a more general audience of members who have questions.
I don't want to discourage members from asking questions or starting threads, but if we use the FAQ and/or post in an existing thread that is on the topic, we help keep the forums more consolidated. Topics are better covered if the discussion is continued in an already existing thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the interpretation, and yes, is gets old seeing the same questions asked over and over, with the same results. Especially when there is a section devoted to listing all the information needed.
Most are asking about what to do to avoid spending any money, this in itself, concerns me to the extent that unsafe vehicles and unknowledgeable drivers(as to how these vehicle perform) can be a lethal combination.
Not saying all redos have to be 20K restorations or custom trucks, but certain parts and maintenance have no price tag when it comes to safety.

My person opinion- if you want to hack a set of springs in a truck you've already mentioned drives like crap(apparent loose/worn steering and bad alignment from the description) and doesn't have very good brakes, go right ahead, after all it is your truck.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I wouldn't cut or torch springs, good replacements are inexpensive, worth the piece of mind and quality ride and an excuse to get under the truck and overhaul the entire suspension and brakes and steering at the same time (or at least whats worn out, the inspection/checks are simple enough). 50 years supportin and stopping 3650 lbs of truck is a lot of wear and tear. From your prior posts it sounds like you need a complete suspension overhaul for your own safety anyway.

I'm pretty much a firm believer in working a truck bottom to top before messin with drivin it....suspension, brakes, shocks, rear, all electrical, trans/motor then go ride. Since suspension is my first, its a perfect time to change the stance. Cosmetics are dead last for me and stance is sorta cosmetic but it fits in smartly with a suspension overhaul.

Have to agree with other members here, drivin a old/unsafe vehicle and makein it worse doesn't do passengers or other drivers on the road any favors. Take yer time, get it safe to run first, ye'll be happier in the long run and live longer to drive it more.

Last edited by Sharps40; 08-18-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
lasher78

i started a thread several weeks ago about this same thing. i got slammed for even considering cutting the rear coils, and after all that i was glad others told me what they thought about it. some members mentioned getting rear coils from a TJ jeep as that would lower it about 4" in rear so i put my nose to the ground and got looking. i called my local 4x4 shop and they had a set layin around from someone doin a lift, he gave them to me for $10. they are the 105aa.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I think cutting the rear coils is a tough job. I don't see how it can be done right unless you can bend the end back around to a shape that properly fits the d-cup retainers on the frame and truck arms.

Front coils can be done pretty easy but the springs are already 50, why not spend just a bit for proper new drop coils and have a good and safe ride. Ya gotta pop the ball joints to do the springs up front either way, so its already half apart for the suspension rebuild...new ball joints, new springs, etc etc and a major safety job done and ready to roll good for at least 10 years.

That's neat on the jeep springs. A nice drop and cheep too. Very cool.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote