The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
BrianG

Frame opinion/advice/info wanted

I could use some help from you experts in deciding which frame to use for my 69 short 4x4 project. I currently have two. The first, is my original, it was a long frame that was cut down year ago. The guy did a good job its really strong and has really been put to the test. The only thing is that is isn't an original short frame and the guy put some rather heavy duty bracing on top of where the frame was cut down. The second one that I have is an original short 4x4 frame. I had planned on using this one just becuase its 'really' a short 4x4 frame. However, I noticed the other day (under the undercoating) that the frame had been cracked and repaired by the power steering gear. I can't tell for sure really, how well it was done, but it looks like it was done a long time ago. Looks pretty good from the outside, maybe not so well from the inside. I don't really plan on any serious off roady any longer once its all back together. So What are your thoughts? My guessing is that the shortened frame was a 69 and the other a 71. Are there any quality issues between the years?

Any opinions, advice or info would be appreciated. Sorry, don't have pics, but maybe I could post some tomorrow, if you all thinks its really necessary to make an opinion on the subject.

Thanks a bunch,
Bri
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
steelhorse

Re: Frame opinion/advice/info wanted

An original short frame will be better if you sell it down the road. Just make sure the steering area is in good shape. A lot of these frames have had to reinforce the gearbox area especially with bigger tires.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
jjzepplin

Pics would help. These 4x4 frames are prone to cracking at the steering box. There is a kit to strengthen them up and since installing mine it has been airborne several times and nothing happened. I would go with the original short and check out some different kits to make the area in question stronger and inspect fully the previous work done. Anything can be redone, A bad frame shortening cannot be redone... Probably gonna hear about saying that---
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
An original short frame will be better if you sell it down the road. Just make sure the steering area is in good shape. A lot of these frames have had to reinforce the gearbox area especially with bigger tires.
That's why I'm so surprised that the shortened frame is good, but the original is(was) cracked. I have35x12.50's on the shortened frame and it has jumped, bumped and slammed a lot. The origianl frame is sitting on stock suspension and tires.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
tlcrz1972

Just be sure that if you swap out the frames you do it correctly and your state DOT will accept/recognize your frame swap as legal.
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
BrianG

Here are a couple of pictures if I can get them to post correctly.

The first two are of the stock short 4x4 frame that has had a crack repair done by the steering gear. The next two are of the long frame that was modified into a short frame. you can see that it was done with a single straight butt-weld (maybe two, I'd have to check, but considering the length of the braces, I am thinking so), then a very heavy angle was nearly fully welded all the way around on both the top and bottom of the frame. Those with a keen eye will also notice that the rear cab mount is 2wd instead of 4wd for some odd reason. No big deal I guess, just a little higher.

I might also add, that whichever frame I don't use, I will end up using for what will be my wife's truck. Her's is going to be a 71 short stepside 4x4.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
BrianG

Just curious if any other opinions now that I have pictures posted showing both.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
jjzepplin

First I will say that I have seen worse. Next I will say that is one fugly job of shortening. The crack repair does not look that bad but I see some mangling by the steering box itself. I would put a box strengthening kit on there and possibly weld a diamond shaped patch on the inside of the frame behind that crack and grind the face nice and smooth.
As for the shortened frame. What can I say? I would cut all the angle off and scab some pieces from a doner frame on the inside out of site.
Since you cannot go back from a straight butt weld all you can do is make it look better.
I have a frame I am cutting up and mounts from a Blazer in a sale add.
Just sayin. Not plugging my parts but this is what I was saving this stuff for. Would look a butt load better than that angle job...
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote