The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
jocko

Re: NOS side markers

Good point DaHos - I can picture the 2 piece ones you speak of. However, not sure if this helps, here's a pic of the still-in-the-bag GM ones I bought from another member. They appear to be one piece. Can't quite make out the Guide font, so no help there. Perhaps this is a similar discussion to the one we had a while back regarding the 69/70 outer grille shells that sat on the shelves of GM as replacement parts - but were slightly different from the originals installed on trucks at the factory - the horizontal lines on the center bar continued through to the headlights, but no-kidding gm replacement grilles eventually had the stopped horizontal black lines in the center bar that didn't go to the headlight bucket all the way. It appears that these replacement GM parts are the ones the aftermarket got hold of and reproduced - when you buy one nowadays from LMC or somewhere else - they resemble the "later" GM replacement parts grill surrounds. Perhaps that is kinda what's going on here. Dunno. Anyway, hope this helps.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
cericd

I found this picture in another thread and it shows the red lens as having a part number of 915119

and jocko's pics show the amber lens as part number 915108. I Googled both those part numbers and came up with these links:

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-par...p-right/915108
http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-par...p-right/915119

It seems that these part numbers were originally used on several 1984 models of Chevy vans G10, G20, G30, etc. I went out and looked at the lenses on my 1970 C/10 and they have the two-piece split design as pictured below.

I don't have and couldn't find a close up picture of a Counterpart brand repro lens to compare regarding the GUIDE info being present or not.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #28
leddzepp

Here is a close up of a counterpart lens I have.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
jocko

that's really odd. I wonder if I walked into a gm dealer (if I had one in my town anymore) and asked for replacement lenses for a 72 CustomD which lenses I'd get... I believe (HOPE) the one piece ones will fit. I've already paid for them but they're not delivered yet. Have to admit, a little disappointed that I didn't make this connection sooner, however, my 2 piece lenses on the 72 I have are pretty much shot, so I need Something to stick on there - and I'm guessing these are the right "replacements" if not the correct originals from 67-72. Hmm. I'm sure the seller I bought them from would offer a refund, but the simple fact is I need some, so gotta get something.

Does anyone sell the two-piece versions?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
cericd

Hey leddzepp, I noticed that the pic of the lens you posted says "GUIDE IT SAE STIA 67". Is it the split two-piece design or one piece like in the OP's first post?

Here is a pic of an original lens from my 70 C/10. It says "GIT SAE PIA 68" and has Guidex in script at the other end of the lens and it is the two-piece design.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
68panelman

Zepp's pic is a taillight, Hence the 67 date.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #32
In The Ten Ring

I have the 2 piece designs on my truck too...what gives? Will the 1 piece lens work on my truck?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #33
leddzepp

Here is another Counterpart lens I have with Guide written in block letters. It is a front turn lens. My side marker lenses are OEM and have the scripted Guidex logo. My point is that "Guide" is just a word printed on the lens...Guidex written in the script form is a copyrighted logo and should be present on OEM lenses.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
dazza

sorry for the delayed response here, just back in town last night.

first off, I apologize if I mis-guided(pun intended) anyone here. If I had thought there may be an issue and had done some research as I have today, the only thing different is that I would have described them as "look to be NOS" instead.

I've looked over the site that I posted the link to in an earlier reply above and haven't found any other info that would help. I give them credit for sorting out what info they have there, but it's a lot, and even they state that nothing can be for certain and they even get some numbers from sellers on eBay and Craigslist.

I checked here at taillightking.com and the new ones he has ($10.) are the T-399(R or A), which is the aftermarket company Glo-Brite's part number. The image on glo-brite's site shows the T-399 text on the lens. Taillightking also has used sets which appear to be the 2-piece lenses ($8.) as well as a few NOS, but 68 only, ($15). Again, site is not exactly the easiest to follow, so I may have missed something.

I can't find it in my parts catalog, different numbers found in gr. 2.575, but google returns a 67-72 truck/van part number of 5960596, which is what is molded into the red ones I'm selling(don't have an amber with me currently). Anybody have any knowledge of cross-reference, it would be helpful.

I'm just just finishing up my restore and I know these fit perfect ('72) and I think they look great. Any of you that I have sold them to and dislike them for whatever reason, I don't have a problem refunding you.

As for "Guide" or "GuideX", being copyright logo or not, I think if someone was to go to the effort of duplicating a lens to such a perfect copy, using script instead of block letters would have been a easy thing to do... as easy putting the "Made in USA" impression on them. Also, I'm guessing the original manufacturer and/or a reproducer found making a one piece a lot more cost effective than the split version.

Thanks all, just wanted you to know where I stand on the situation... and I do have a few sets left!
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #35
cericd

Hey dazza, I sent you a PM about these.