The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2003, 11:47 PM   #1
TB6587

Unhappy fuel tank repair

Went to drop my fuel tank to replace the pump today and found where it has been leaking out of a small rust hole. Cleaned it up and sealed it with some fuel tank repair stuff I found at the parts store. The stuff is a permatex product that looks like a tootsie roll.
Has anyone had any luck repairing leaky fuel tanks? I'm wondering if I can be confident in the repair or if I should be looking to replace the tank?

Thanks,
Tim
TB6587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

first off welcome to the board
ive used that kind of stuff once or twice and it should work for a while but youre going to wind up goin fopr a tank it should buy ya a few months tho til the good weather comes around

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
TB6587

Thanks Rusty, I was pleased to find LMC & Chevyduty have them for $99. That seems pretty reasonable so I will be looking to replace it before long.

Tim
Old 12-21-2003, 06:20 PM   #4
nractiv

hrmmm....

Welp., seems as though I have the same thing going on.
And yup, I'm new here as well. Seeking the info for repairing a fuel tank. Unfortunately, I had 2 of them (dual tanks.) Just haven't used one of the 2 for quite sometime. Went and filled up the what I thought was the good tank and found fuel all over the driveway afterwards. Just in time for some Holiday FUN! heh. Yah right.

So anyway, I've managed to order both the straps and a new fuel tank, drop one of the old tanks only to find out that the brackets are being VERY stubborn. They have so much rust on them that I can't tell if their are 2 pieces to them and or how to remove the pieces of the old straps which were left in the mounting brackets after having them shattered in a cloud of rust. sighs. Looks as though, the brackets were in 2 pieces and eventually were welded??? Again the rust was too prevalent to make heads or tails of it. Ha!, it figures the only solid pieces of the straps were in the place where they connect to the frame brackets and of course you can't get to them!

So, I went down and purchased a Chilton manual from the local Barnes and Noble along with a moccha only to find that the diagram isn't much help but I still plan on using the book in the future for my other "projects".

I've long been searching for a site and or online resource or perhaps a great cd with parts diagrams on them. Very hard to come by evidently in an "electronic format". That is unless you're a auto or parts dealer! Funny thing though is that every site has a different name for the same thing!

Any help on where I can find a downloadable or diagrams? Looking for something like the parts store would have. Service manual maybe on cd? I've already made WAY too many trips to the local NAPA trying to get the various hoses and "anti squeak material". Fella behind the counter cocked his head and said huh? heh., it was nothing more than "gasket material" that I spotted behind the counter. I was fortunate since the guy said so sorry I don't have a clue what you're talking about! Kinda funny actually when I said how about some gasket material?..... The material is used so that the straps when I can finally manage to get them on, won't rub against the tank.

GMC / Chevy C10 / V6 / 1987 Pickup / 2WD

Thanks & Happy Holidays!
Gordon - a.k.a. nractiv
nractiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
TB6587

nractiv, try looking around at this web site. www.books4cars.com. They have quite a selection. If you dont already have one you should go to www.lmctruck.com and request a catalog. They do a pretty good job of exploded views and parts break downs.
Good luck,

Tim
Old 12-21-2003, 11:26 PM   #6
nractiv

Thanks T. I'll give em' a shot! Tempted just to take the remaining parts down to the local Chevy Dealer in the a.m. and let one of the mechanics take a crack at telling me what the heck I'm doing wrong! I've been back out to the garage no less than 4 times throught the day attempting to break the old straps out of the brackets! I did read on a few sites where several recalls were made on this model of truck one of which was for the fuel tanks.

Maybe the answer to why there appears to be an "extra" piece of bracket on the mount assy. where the strap attaches was possibly due to it having the recall work performed.... Sorry way to long!
Laters.
Gordo
nractiv is offline   Reply With Quote