The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2003, 06:15 AM   #1
TIMSPEED

New Battery Cables time or what?!?

OK, so I go out to start my truck tonight (I haven't started it in about a week) and I turn the key and I hear "click-click-click-click". Now, it done this to me last week when I was at the gas station..and what I did was just kept turning the key from off/on really fast, and it seemed to finally light up. But tonight it was a no go. So, I turned on the headlights (pretty dim) and tried to fire it, again "clicking" sound, along with the headlights basically going OUT.
I've RECENTLY replace the Starter, Battery, AND Alternator...so now it's time for the battery cables...right?
Old 12-22-2003, 06:38 AM   #2
allthrtl
Available for Adoption

Well, it could be the cables or it could be one of the other things you mentioned....

Before throwing more parts at it, I would check a few things. If there are 12+ volts at the battery and it doesn't drop below 9.6v while a helper is cranking, then it's likely a poor connection. It's not un-heard-of to see a new battery drop a cell or to see the regulator or stator go out of a new altenator.

Jump start it...At the battery you should get 13-15v @ 2-3k rpm, more or less=alt problems.

The "click-click-click-click" is the solenoid clicking because there isn't enough juice to keep it engaged...(dim headlights)

Seen lots of electrical problems posted lately and it seems that very few folks actually own or use a volt/ohm meter. These things aren't that expensive and will save you lots of time hunting and it'll also save alot of money on parts that you won't be throwing around....Another good item to have is a good 12v test light. I actually carry a test light in my glove compartment.... Never leave home without it.....

Good Luck....
Old 12-22-2003, 06:42 AM   #3
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by allthrtl
Seen lots of electrical problems posted lately and it seems that very few folks actually own or use a volt/ohm meter. These things aren't that expensive and will save you lots of time hunting and it'll also save alot of money on parts that you won't be throwing around....Another good item to have is a good 12v test light. I actually carry a test light in my glove compartment.... Never leave home without it.....
I carry both a Digital Multimeter and a test light in my glove box aswell.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #4
TIMSPEED

ok, well, I charged my battery last night, and I went and it fired right up like nothin. I checked the battery terminals while the truck was running, and the battery showed it to be 13.8 at about 1500rpm, so I'm guessing maybe I just had a low battery
Old 12-22-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED
ok, well, I charged my battery last night, and I went and it fired right up like nothin. I checked the battery terminals while the truck was running, and the battery showed it to be 13.8 at about 1500rpm, so I'm guessing maybe I just had a low battery
Does your meter have a Amp meter? Hook it up and see if it's drawing any juice. .05 ma (may want to double check that. Been a while since I have don that kind of problem finding) is about what the memory on the radio will draw. Double that if your running a high end alarm with a proxsimity (sp) sensor. Any more then that is excessive.

#1 area for problems with current draw is the Stereo. Pull the fuse to it and see if the draw drops if your seeing excessive. Make sure the amp is shutting down with the head unit if you run seperate amps.

#2 is cig plug.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:41 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

check the battery with a tester to see how it does under load and if ya can ( i dont care if its maintenance free) the water levels you could have a battery goin bad

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:50 PM   #7
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper
#1 area for problems with current draw is the Stereo. Pull the fuse to it and see if the draw drops if your seeing excessive. Make sure the amp is shutting down with the head unit if you run seperate amps.
#2 is cig plug.
Of which I have NEITHER! So..I dunno..one night my horn was going off all night, and ever since then, I never actually CHARGED the battery, so..it's prolly been a long stemming problem since then.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:04 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

What did you do about the horn?

was the problem fixed?

If you just unpluged the horns then that maybe the problem. There is a relay and it will put a draw on the battery even if the horns are unpluged if it is still stuck.

Most commom horn problem is Button in steering wheel. the contact pin to let the wheel to turn wears out and then it shorts.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:01 PM   #9
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

Grim- The contact pin is that the wire with the little spring on it? Duh (light comes on) Never mind. I didn't know that they wear out. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:01 PM   #10
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper
If you just unpluged the horns then that maybe the problem. There is a relay and it will put a draw on the battery even if the horns are unpluged if it is still stuck.
Ahhh HA! Where exactly is that relay at? I just unplugged the horns, so that's probably my problem! So, where do I unplug it so that it'll fix it? (For the time being, until I fix the contact ring)
Old 12-22-2003, 11:19 PM   #11
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

My guess is to pull the horn button and remove the contact pin (wire). Right???
Old 12-22-2003, 11:21 PM   #12
TIMSPEED

Well..there was only ONE relay under my dash, down by the fuse panel...so I took it off, and everything still works, so I guess that was my horn relay...well, hopefully it won't drain my battery anymore...none of my other cars have horns, LOL.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #13
BaggedC10
Under construction!

I had the same problem w/ my truck, Tim. A faulty horn relay drained two of my batteries.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 PM   #14
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by BaggedC10
I had the same problem w/ my truck, Tim. A faulty horn relay drained two of my batteries.
Well, at least now it won't happen anymore, because I disconnected it entirely.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:28 AM   #15
Mike76251

Here's a old tip that I am gonna pass along in spite of that avatar of yours.....LOL
Unhook the + battery cable and rig a 12v light between it and the battery. If it lights up you have draw.
Pull fuses until it don't light anymore and you have found your draw.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:19 AM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

To make sure you have the horn relay, put the one you pulled back in and press the horn button. You should hear it clicking. Pull it back out and then try it. If no click, you have the right one.

The horn relay on my 85 is on a little panel up under the dash above the steering column.

I just want to say that you guys are amazing. The amount of help in this forum is nothing short of top notch. Great work everyone.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:12 AM   #17
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
To make sure you have the horn relay, put the one you pulled back in and press the horn button.
Well, I'm sure I have the right one..cuz otherwise, I don't have a horn relay It was the only relay in there.