The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Largecar

Hydro and 248

I removed the complete drivetrain from my 54 gmc. Steering column with shifter rear end engine and hydro Is it worth anything? Or should I look for another truck and drop it in later? Just pulled it and it's fresh so I can pickle it for later.I know the later ones with the v8 Pontiac were desirable. But don't know if I should bother keeping this one or send it away
Largecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Hydro and 248

It may not be worth a fortune but on these trucks there always seems to be someone looking for that usable part that you just pulled off in an upgrade to fix their truck

The big question is that if you put it back and save it will you ever dig it out and use it or will it be that hunk of iron in the corner that is always in the way? I've got three sheds full of "maybe I'll use it someday" stuff and have started giving some of it away simply because I am tired of moving it every time I look for what always seems to be behind it. Some of it has been out there for 35 years and I can't even remember what I hauled it home for or why. mostly it was too good to throw away so it got hauled home and put in a shed.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Largecar

Re: Hydro and 248

Pretty good about that. 5-6 months and it goes to scrap unless it's body stuff. I almost used the hydro but have a hot rodded 235 Chevy same year.5 gear truck guess maybe toss it in Craig's list first
Largecar is offline   Reply With Quote