The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
seanrolandwood

rear end/ suspension ?'s

So I got this project 66 long bed and Im just trying to find out what rear end this is....
Year
Gearing
Heres the thing I've got a rear drop kit for this but the adjustable trac bar sold to me as a "sure to work" from a guy with an earlier year c10 maybe a 63 or a 62 I can't remember. Now blame my ignorance(whats lead me to this forum as I here it's one of the best) I took his word for it and I was in my car I couldn't compare the two and only having the truck a few days I hadn't really commited all the details to memory. With that said the things I've been finding as I dig into this truck i'm not sure if it's the trac bar or the rear end thats the wrong so if anyone could let me know how to identity my rear end or can do so from the pictures I'd appreciate it thanks
pictures of trac bar I bought and my rear end and also if you could let me know what years that trac bar I bought goes to that'd be rad as I don't want to stick someone else with parts they can't use
Attached Images

seanrolandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
seanrolandwood

Re: rear end/ suspension ?'s

So instead of starting a bunch of new treads about questions I have im just gonna keep putting them here so......
The front suspension im not sure if you read my other post but I have either some aftermarket lower control arms or someones creation either way I like the ride and height but no idea where to start to replace what needs replacing and I figure over the years most of you have seen it all so heres some pics any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The rear end under your truck is the GM truck 12 bolt. That is what GM put under about 95% of the '63-'72 C10's. As for your panhard bar, the one you bought is a bit strange as it has a tierod on one end. Regardless it is either for a '60-'64 or it is for a lowered truck. The '60-'64's use a longer panhard bar than the '65-'72's.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
seanrolandwood

Thanks for the info I was just unaware if the panhard bar location was different for certain years so any ajustable bar 65-72 fits this setup thanks ......is there a way to identify what gearing and such it has I haven't cleaned it off completely yet and thus far have found no #'s to help identify it. is there a particular spot these were stamped with a code I could look up
Old 03-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There is an identification code stamped on the passenger side axle tube that tells you what came in that housing from the factory. But who knows that may have changed in the past 48 years. I always recoimmend just pulling the cover and having a look. That way you know for sure what is in there and what the condition is. Besides, the rear end is one of the most neglected parts of a vehicle. It more than likely needs the oil changed. It doesn't take long to do and will only cost you a couple quarts of gear oil and a cover gasket. Then you will know what gear ratio you have, it's condition and peace of mind knowing your rear end has fresh oil in it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
seanrolandwood

Thanks for the advice and yeah the trac bar was on a lowered step side and not sure of the manufacturer on it either..... it came with the pictured bracket that looks as if it was welded to axel tube