The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
BKSS67

Repair for cracked 67-72 chrome plated brass hub caps

Does anyone know of a repair for the common cracking along the outer rim of the 67-72 chrome plated brass hub caps?

I've got a few that have more than one crack, but I'd like to repair and restore them. The later 73+ stainless steel ones are an option, but I'd like to use these, if possible.

Has anyone had any luck brazing the cracks from the backside? At least to keep the cracks from getting worse.

Thanks
BKSS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
DT1

Re: Repair for cracked 67-72 chrome plated brass hub caps

Cracks in brass can be repaired with silver solder. If you have never silver soldered, you should take the caps to an expert. If you want to give it a try you have to remove all of the chrome from the area and get it as clean as possible. I use a silver solder from Handy and Harmon. For large cracks that need to be filled in, I use Easy Flow No. 3 solder with Handy Flux. If the cracks are small and only need to be joined back together, I use Easy flow No. 45 with Handy flux. You can get the stuff from most welding supply companies. Here is their web site.
https://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/en-US/...prepackaged/7/
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Unfortunately,you can buy a set of caps for way less than having those restored. And,will the silver solder hold up? Also,the caps are steel and the brass is just a stage in the plating process. Just the cost of new chrome will be way more than what a set of caps go for

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
viking427

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Unfortunately,you can buy a set of caps for way less than having those restored. And,will the silver solder hold up? Also,the caps are steel and the brass is just a stage in the plating process. Just the cost of new chrome will be way more than what a set of caps go for

Why is silver solder needed if they're base metal is just plain old cold rolled steel with brass/nickel/chromium plating ? they should take a normal weld then. I don't remember seeing a steel painted cap split like the chromed "brass" ones do. Seems it'd be cheaper to sand blast the steel painted caps, then chrome plate those ...whoops, did I just let the cat outa the bag

Agreed, many years ago I had almost $500 into a set of restored old Impala chromed "brass" caps, Im sure it costs even more now.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Sideways

The base metal of these chrome plated caps is brass,in the plating process they are copper plated first then nickel plated and finally a flash of chrome is applied.

To check that they are brass you can test them with a magnet or file an edge on the back, the procedure that DT1 gave is very good information..

Here is pic of one I have stripped done to brass.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sideways; 03-27-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: pic
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
viking427

Good to know, thanks Sideways. I didn't know the General "triple" plated these, I thought GM skipped the initial copper plating step. Ill hafta look into that reverse electrolysis dip tank process to remove both the chromium and nickel layers of plating - much better and more affective than grinding it off and the only way for delicate parts like these.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
Sideways

Hey your welcome,glad to help.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
BKSS67

Thanks for the idea's guys!

These brass caps seem to be a thinner gauge material than the later stainless steel caps.

If nothing else, I'll use these for the spare tire
BKSS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Sideways

Have you tried the stainless '73 and up caps with the concave centers,I remember I tried one years ago and the axle flange bottomed out on the hubcap before it was seated on the rim.
I have seen the '73 and up caps used on our trucks but maybe they are using spacers on the rims or a later axle?

I checked the 9 caps I have with the correct convex centers and no cracks,guess I got lucky!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Have you tried the stainless '73 and up caps with the concave centers,I remember I tried one years ago and the axle flange bottomed out on the hubcap before it was seated on the rim.
I have seen the '73 and up caps used on our trucks but maybe they are using spacers on the rims or a later axle?

I checked the 9 caps I have with the correct convex centers and no cracks,guess I got lucky!
It's very simple to convex the 73 up caps. Only the 3/4 ton caps were convexed, all 1/2 ton dog dish caps were concave, even 72-under.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote