The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
seanrolandwood

driveline ?'s

So I have a long bed with the two piece drive line and I'm going to go with a one piece I can imagine that this is a pretty common thing so if anyone here would like to share their experience in doing this that'd be awesome..... any problems with fittment in crossmember....is there a one piece from a later year that fits or do I have to take one of the same size and have it cut and welded together while I want to do this right I also dont want to spend money on old sh!t that doesnt work nor do I wanna buy new when there was something availbe to me and I was just to lazy to find it
seanrolandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: driveline ?'s

Do you want to change your driveshaft to a one piece because you have the whimpy light duty 2 piece driveshaft? The HD 2 piece driveshaft will be much stronger than either one. A one piece driveshaft can be done, but by the time you increase the diameter needed fopr the length, that creates a possible cleaeance issue with the trailing arm crossmember.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
mixermike

Just did a tranny swap and needed shorter driveline . The shop didn't like my original driveline so they built a brand new one for me. One piece 4" tube $500. Clearance is very close through the trailing arm crossmember. The book calls for a 3 1/2" tube but 4" is better right ? LOL . If I did it over I would go 3 1/2"
mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
rustbucket66

The 2 piece is the better setup, less vibration, stronger, and potential clearance problems with a one piece. I don't know why you would want to change. Also with a longbox, you may be near or past the maximum length that you can build a one piece. Captainfab is giving you the best advice.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
seanrolandwood

Hello all thanks for the input.....I guess I should let you all know that this is my first truck build of any kind so I am painfully unaware of the nuances of these trucks and as captinfab mentioned it looks like chevy used my nephews t-ball bat for my drive line...
Captinfab you mentioned a hd driveline for the trucks was this an option for our years or do I source from another years truck....
Also while I'm here and before I get a head of myself I should mention that I intend on lowering the rear of the truck as much as possible without having to change the level of the bed and would that change anyones opinion on using a 2 piece v. 1 piece driveline
All advice and any personal accounts of having either a 1 piece or hd 2 piece and what you found you liked or didn't would be really appreciated......
Thanks again for chiming in as I found most people's 2 cents cost them thousands to form so I dont take it for granted and if your info can save me some hair pulling out moments down the road all the better
seanrolandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
bonehead

My long bed is running the two-piece stock setup, no issues, no reason to change it.

If it ain't broke, don't mess with it. Spend your money on something else.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote