The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
62step

Need some advice...

I am having some trouble holding onto this truck. There is just so much to do. There's a just a lot of stress between my wife and I, and I would rather get rid of the truck than have something happen between us.. I don't want to do anything I would regret, like selling the truck, but I guess I need some motivation or just some advice..

I bought a lot of stuff for this thing, but can't really get to anything until I have it painted. I saved up for the bed to get soda blasted (not sure if I should do that anymore or get it sandblasted). I might just save up a little more and get the whole thing sandblasted/sodablasted.

I took a couple pictures to show you guys where I'm at.. There's a whole lot to do on this before it's even close to the road.. You can see too, how sometimes I just go out there and primer some here and there..

The bed and hood
62step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Need some advice...

Question for you: Does the fact that it's in the garage add to your stress. If not, why not step back take a break and just get back to it when the time is right.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
62step

It doesn't, it would help if I had the whole garage (will never happen) but my wife has to have a spot in the garage (one of our deals). I think I will, I'll save up until I get the whole truck sandblasted.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
AcampoDave

Yea, meanwhile store your stuff right, "bagged and tagged" make it orderly and compact. I've got an International Harvester panel in my garage in the same state. Non-opped with d.m.v. and just waiting until I retire. (Which is gonna be a little while yet) the cool thing is it's all there and I know where the parts are. Edit: Meanwhile, stay with us here on the forum and refine your plans. There's a ton of info here, use it to your advantage. You'll feel better with a good solid plan no matter how long it takes to put it into motion.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
62step

Thanks! I'll get out there and organize the garage this weekend!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’d suggest you sit down and think over how important this project is (or isn’t) to your car life and your marriage. Disassembled vehicles that no longer move under their own power can really kill enthusiasm for everyone involved, especially if partner support is limited. After taking a hard look you’ll either consider you could be happy with something a bit less ambitious, or this is the once in a lifetime dream truck that means everything to you. These things can take years to complete. It took me over a year just to paint mine the first time, (near total disassembly) and it was already a running truck.

Once you’ve made that decision in your own mind, a serious talk with your wife is in order to openly discuss how this project fits into your long term priorities. Could be she will see how important this is and find the enthusiasm to support getting it finished sooner. She may also convince you how this particular project has really introduced more grief in your marriage than it’s worth and maybe something else would be less stressful for both of you. Just don’t let it go if it’s really something you love. Seller’s remorse (especially if it’s compulsory) can also have long lasting effects as well.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
63burban
Chevy addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I’d suggest you sit down and think over how important this project is (or isn’t) to your car life and your marriage. Disassembled vehicles that no longer move under their own power can really kill enthusiasm for everyone involved, especially if partner support is limited. After taking a hard look you’ll either consider you could be happy with something a bit less ambitious, or this is the once in a lifetime dream truck that means everything to you. These things can take years to complete. It took me over a year just to paint mine the first time, (near total disassembly) and it was already a running truck.

Once you’ve made that decision in your own mind, a serious talk with your wife is in order to openly discuss how this project fits into your long term priorities. Could be she will see how important this is and find the enthusiasm to support getting it finished sooner. She may also convince you how this particular project has really introduced more grief in your marriage than it’s worth and maybe something else would be less stressful for both of you. Just don’t let it go if it’s really something you love. Seller’s remorse (especially if it’s compulsory) can also have long lasting effects as well.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I totally agree with this, and remember that some projects just take a lot of time because of money, time and space.
Try to take your wife for a ride in a truck like yours and see how she likes it. I recently took a buddy's wife for a ride, he has a stalled 66 project mainly because the wife thought it was a waste of money. She thought mine was neat and it was time for him to get his done.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote