The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
MidLifer

POL Brake Booster

I bought a brake booster like this one from POL a few months ago, and am getting around to installing it, but the directions they sent me aren't very clear and they depict a different bracket type. I called POL and they were supposed to send me an e-mail but.....guess they got busy.

I've been searching build threads for an hour - maybe someone can point me to a pic of one of these installed so I can see how it fits with the pedals and existing bracket? Thanks.
Attached Images

MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
tmoble

Re: POL Brake Booster

dunno what that is exactly. looks like it might bolt on to the frame bracket in place of the original. but, the pivot for the pedal is built in to the old master cylinder itself. There is a bracket that has the pedal mount stuff on it, but that's not it.

see this pic
Attached Images

tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
Old Crow

Looks similar to the CPP unit I hung on our '54 yesterday. I'll get a pic when I get to the shop this morning and fire it off to you. Bolts in place of the old m/c and hooks up to the pedal. Easy-peasy. Pedal remains in stock position.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Old Crow

Here's the setup on a '54:

A bit closer shot:

The bracket that Tmobile shows is the setup for a '55.2-59 truck.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
MidLifer

Thanks Old Crow. That helps a ton.

Now, does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the fiber washers that go between the pedals? When I took my truck apart, what was left of them instantly crumbled to bits.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Old Crow

Good luck. If you look closely at my pics, I'm missing the spring, cups and retaining clip for the pedals also and no one seems to repop them. The one washer that goes between the pedals(which is steel on this one)managed to survive being moved from the shop where the guy bought it over to my shop.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
I bought a brake booster like this one from POL a few months ago, and am getting around to installing it, but the directions they sent me aren't very clear and they depict a different bracket type. I called POL and they were supposed to send me an e-mail but.....guess they got busy.

I've been searching build threads for an hour - maybe someone can point me to a pic of one of these installed so I can see how it fits with the pedals and existing bracket? Thanks.
Not exactly sure what you need but mount the bracket/booster and connect the rod. You may have to connect the rod without that small spacer if it hits the clutch pedal linkage when depressed..
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #8
Old Crow

Dave, not to hijack the thread, but on the CPP brake kit I got they were very specific about mounting the calipers behind the spindles. Any particular reason your kit(I assume it's one of your kits)mounts them in front of the spindles?
I'm not even really sure it matters, I'm just curious.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Don't know anything about the CPP kit except that its not for 3/4 or one ton. They may specify it that way so you don't put the wrong bracket on the wrong side or a specific fitment issue but that's a guess. Discs are commonly mounted at 10 OR 2 o'clock. We did it because those 2500 HD calipers are very large and we wanted as much clearance from the drag link/Pittman arm as possible.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Old Crow

Ok, couldn't really tell the weight rating from the angle of the pic.
I checked the brackets on the CPP kit when I put it together, and it's perfectly possible to mount the calipers in the front by swapping brackets side to side. Not sure why they want 'em in back, but it all fits fine, so that's how I did it.
In the case of your kit, I can see why you went with the 2 oclock mounting, thanks for the info.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
OrrieG

Except for the location of the bleeders, the calipers do not care where they are mounted, its a closed pressure system. Auto manf usually mount them on the back of the caliper in front, front of caliper in rear to get the mass closer to the center of gravity; and high to keep them out of the crud. Race cars try and get them as close to the center and low as possible to lower the mass and center of gravity. Don't know about newer parts used for swaps but 70's calipers can be mounted to either side but the bleeder ends up on the wrong end (down, it is supposed to be up) creating an air pocket. I found out the hard way when I got a LH replacement for a RH application and could not get the brakes to bleed all the way out.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote