The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2014, 02:36 AM   #9
mechanicalman

Re: just some exhaust opinions? 71 k10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin1 View Post
hey fellas,just seeing what your opinions are. heres the story.

71 k10 longbed. the body looks ok but is all reality CRAP(cab was in a wreck at sometime and bondo-held together with paint on top) bed is crap also.with an honest problly 2 gallons of bondo on it.
so i am swapping my 1-owner 67 never wrecked almost no rust body onto it(small cab window too )

the engine is the stock 1971 350. it is 100% stock from air filter to oil pan EXCEPT for the headers on it that leak badly.it has 78k original miles(owner kept a detailed log of everything since new in glovebox)

should i replace with new longtube headers or factory manifolds for a 71 k10?
this is going to be a daily kinda truck.real clean.
If you are going with a/c, and go with headers, go with hookers: they are the only header manufacture that I have found that offers an a/c bracket for factory A6 compressor on headers, and I'd be afraid to try to use it on other headers than hooker as the bracket is a tight squeeze even on the hookers but it fits and the compressor bolts up as it's supposed to.

If you go with manifolds, and still want performance, check these out I think they are a cut above stock. You will have to go with 69 and up style alternator bracket though on these or the headers. 67-68 had alt bracket built onto the L manifold.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Ra...Iron,3823.html

Kinda pricey, and I would not expect "bolt on" exhaust pipes to fit them. So if you use these, you will have to get custom exhaust.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote