The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #26
Chulisohombre

Re: Highlander Production Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali72K20 View Post
And to taker her for a ride when I finish the truck!
Pretty girl. She'd fit right in on the back seat. Lol. From what I read the hl did not have any wood grain trim. Only black inserts.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Is this that white BB SWB I should have bought during your moment of weakness? :-)
Yes you are correct sir. I probably need to tell the whole story, about why I like these trucks ,own a couple , was gonna sell the one you are talking about because of my lack of knowledge about these pick ups etc, etc.
Stickman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #28
Cali72K20

I have another odd question, has anyone seen or heard of getting a vinyl overlay for where the wood grain goes on the lower outter trim of the truck? I would like to get a subtle copy of the scroll inside it maybe semi gloss with flat scroll down the center.
Cali72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #29
SS Tim

Quote:

Did the Highlander have the optional wood grain trim? or was it in black only?
Not to highjack your thread, but I'm turning mine into a knock-off HL because mine did not come with a SPID. Mine has all the options mentioned in the ads except for the seat cover. I'm working on that now, trying to get the correct seat coverings from one of the vendors here.
First off if you can just edit that link out I would be really happy. There is a lot of incorrect information there. Like I said up in post #43 I spent a good two hours writing up a correction for that because someone just cut and paste it into a post.

Altogether I have a lot of time researching and getting answers together about Highlander Plaid trim and Highlander Promo Package trucks. Again today I was reminded how deeply the two are blended and perceived as one.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...74#post6495374

Most of the trucks "seem" to have wodgrain trim if they have the Highlander trim and lower bodyside moldings. However it may be an early and late year sort of thing and by plant variable. But it is known that a one-owner, Fremont assembled, May 72, White Highlander (Blue Plaid), Promo Package "C" truck with lower moldings had black inserts.

As Custom Deluxe nor any of the Highlander Promo Packages included lower trim it is interesting to see the variation.
The factory normative practice was to use black insert lower moldings on Custom Deluxe and Custom trucks when so ordered. Of course the Cheyennes and Supers used the woodgrained molding inserts. Considering that the Highlander trim is an upgrade over Custom Deluxe it is easy to say they also upgraded the exterior and in practice seem to have. That is still one of the many details I am trying to run to ground.

So as to which to use on your truck, its your choice. The woodgrained is more likely but a case can be made for the black inserts as well. On a dark green truck I would have to go with the woodgrained unless it (that individual truck) was known to have had black as a Highlander. However on a lighter or white truck the black would "show" better. Good luck!
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #30
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Yes you are correct sir. I probably need to tell the whole story, about why I like these trucks ,own a couple , was gonna sell the one you are talking about because of my lack of knowledge about these pick ups etc, etc.
Not really, I figured it out quick when we told you to track down the block and then the ads disappeared. :-)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #31
Highlander_72

Quote:
And to taker her for a ride when I finish the truck!

She can sit on this one!
Attached Images

Highlander_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #32
Highlander_72

Restored just for her.
Attached Images

Highlander_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_72 View Post
Restored just for her.
I am the guy you bought the truck from. I still have my SWB Highlander. I am glad to see you are restoring it. Here is a pic of what he started with.

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 10-08-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: change info
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Coley

Smile Re: Highlander Production Numbers

My '72 very closely aligns (...if not exactly aligns) with all the information that you have posted up Tim.
As for when the highlander package 'kicked in' as a sales offering....not sure, but my truck was built in/on April 19/1972 (see included build sheet and spid)...which is fairly early in the year and the system/paper work to order it must have been in the pipe a lot earlier than that.
All the coloring, woodgrain, package stuff (group C), seems to line right up.
The only thing that the truck had that wasn't on the spid/build sheet was the chrome/sport rear bumper....dealer added or?
The original owner/buyer of the truck was definitely an old guy (late 80's) when the truck came my way so I'm not sure as to the bumper install history...doesn't really matter too much at this point. He and his history didn't strike me as a guy who was changing/updating his truck over the years...just carefully driving it...luckily.
Love the truck, love the option group....gave up a '72 Cheyenne Super to get this one due to its condition and original unmolested equipment.
Regardless....great thread.

All Good
Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #35
mitchell72

BB72chevykt,
I also have a swb highlander that I am restoring to "as original as I can" its nice to see other short beds out there.

Thanks to Tim for keeping me on track during the process.

But how I would love to have a big block short bed highlander. Keep your Cheyenne supers. Yes I said that. and I have not been drinking much.
mitchell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #36
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell72 View Post
BB72chevykt,
I also have a swb highlander that I am restoring to "as original as I can" its nice to see other short beds out there.

Thanks to Tim for keeping me on track during the process.

But how I would love to have a big block short bed highlander. Keep your Cheyenne supers. Yes I said that. and I have not been drinking much.
Mine was originally 350/3 OTT. I have not seen a short bed big block Highlander yet.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #37
SS Tim

Here you go, but as far as I know I'm still first in line if it comes up for sale.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #38
SS Tim

This is more to my needs though. Just a bit (25") bigger!
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #39
Lees68GMC

This 72 is a long-bed and has those plaid highlander insets in the bench seat but I don't see any notation in the SPID. It's an Arizona Truck and For Sale I believe.
Attached Images

"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #40
jocko

better post that there SPID then! Let's have a looky at your seat too!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote