The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
brawley
Easy Does It

Steering column wont go into park???

I have a gmc van tilt column with automatic. I recently took it out to paint it, I took the shift lever out. Now ive put the column back in, and shift lever in , the shift bowl moves freely until I get up around where reverse is and it stops , when I pull back on the shift handle it wont go up into park it seems stuck?? any ideas , or an exploded illustration of one of these columns. thanks
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Re: Steering column wont go into park???

is it hook'd up down at the bottom, may be the adjustment there.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
brawley
Easy Does It

no I havent hooked up the trans linkage yet. is there a pin that goes into the spring inside or any thing like that?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Brawley, first question I have is was it doing this before you took the lever out? Second, does the lever feel like it has spring pressure holding it down like it should. I'm an old Chevy mechanic and I have made the same mistake more than once, same one you may have made. There is a spring in there you MUST get the lever on top of. If you don't the upper first coil of the spring gets stuck on the first cut out on the lever making it impossible to pull it up enough to make it past the park detent. Pull the lever out again and remove the spring (it WON'T be easy) Look at it. It's probably bent. Straighten it out (best to replace it with the one from another auto colunm) and then reinstall spring and CAREFULLY reinstall the lever by sliding it in with the end tang scraping the uppermost face of the lever bore and the pin boss scraping the lower face of the lever bore. Hold it in place with the pin half way in and GENTLY pull up on the lever to see if it gets full travel. If you feel ANY resistance before full travel is attained, IT'S IN WRONG, DON'T PULL IT UP ANY HIGHER!! Pull it out and try again. If you get full travel the first time, try to shift it, it should work now. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
brawley
Easy Does It

Thanks for the response. It was working good when I took it out, its been out so long now, im in the middle of a restoration. the notched area faces to the steering wheel and rounded end towards spring? isint that correct, it seems to be the only way it will fit.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

That is correct. It would not assemble the other way because the shifter would hit the dash board. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
brawley
Easy Does It

I found out what the problem was, the shift indicator broke off and slid down and was blocking the arm from going into park. I wanted to post this in case anyone else has this problem.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
ConradBSomething

How did you get the chunk of indicator out? Did you have to take it apart?

I think I'm having the same problem. I installed a 70's ish van tilt column in my 65' and the indicator was broken while installing it. I put the gear shifter what I thought was all the way up in park and hooked the rod to the transmission, but it would only shift down to drive.

I'm fairly certain its not going all the way up to Park, but I cant be sure because the indicator is busted out and I've never had that particular model of column so I don't know how far up it needs to be positioned to be in park.

Also I dont have to pull the gear shift towards me to lower gears. So theres another mark in the "not going all the way up" column.
ConradBSomething is offline   Reply With Quote