The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
bufordtjustice

Steering Alignment settings for 82 K10?

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the steering alignment settings are for a 1982 Chevy K10? Its a 4x4 6.2 diesel at stock height. Not sure what is adjustable but caster, camber toe settings??

Cheers
Mike
bufordtjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Steering Alignment settings for 82 K10?

Technically, just toe. You want slightly toe'd in, with the intent that they would be straight going down the road, due to compliance in the system. Off the top of my head I think the spec was 1/8" to 1/4" toe in.

Not so technically, you can adjust caster with tapered shims between the spring and the axle seat. You want as much as you feel comfortable putting in there. We used to run as much as 10 degrees, which will give you very nice stable on center feel.

Camber is not intended to be adjustable from the factory but there are tapered kingpins available in the aftermarket. You have to be pretty hardcore to pursue that option.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
bufordtjustice

Cheers Keith, I'll stick to adjusting the toe! Just dont want to wear out tyres!

Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Ski-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Technically, just toe. You want slightly toe'd in, with the intent that they would be straight going down the road, due to compliance in the system. Off the top of my head I think the spec was 1/8" to 1/4" toe in.

Not so technically, you can adjust caster with tapered shims between the spring and the axle seat. You want as much as you feel comfortable putting in there. We used to run as much as 10 degrees, which will give you very nice stable on center feel.

Camber is not intended to be adjustable from the factory but there are tapered kingpins available in the aftermarket. You have to be pretty hardcore to pursue that option.

K
Agree. Pretty limited on adjustments other than toe. And I'd also agree with the spec of 1/8" to 1/4" toe in. Easy to do on your own with tape, marker and tape measurer.

The problem with tapered adjuster sleeves for your upper ball joints is the pre-load torque. Instead of setting it to 50 ft-lbs, you would need to turn it more or less to get your desired angle....which inevitably put more or less pressure on the upper ball joint. I experimented with it a lot, but finally took them out and just used the standard ones.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
bufordtjustice

This is the beast....photos taken in Larne, Co Antrim, N.Ireland!!