The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
bluex

dually wheel dress up.

My new to me 89 dually has some Pacific duallies simulators on it. At low speeds they knock an pop an it drives me nuts. What can I do to stop this?

I'm also considering dumping the simulators an painting the wheels silver, getting a set of trim rings an these center caps (or some similar).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201086501097

Would those caps work an would they go on before the wheels, or between the wheels and the ring that locates the lugs?

I think this look with a silver wheel would look good on my truck which is dark blue.....

Thanks!
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: dually wheel dress up.

That ebay link looks like they go in from the inside of the rim.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
SCOTI

I'll go on record & say I'm no fan of the spike lug nut covers (regardless of wheel diameter). But the steel look does work w/some effort. Lose the simulators & go w/the classic looking OE 88-98 center caps & trim rings would be my vote....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'll go on record & say I'm no fan of the spike lug nut covers (regardless of wheel diameter). But the steel look does work w/some effort. Lose the simulators & go w/the classic looking OE 88-98 center caps & trim rings would be my vote....
I've looked into that as well but getting the caps, the special lug nuts an the plastic lugnut covers gets expensive....
Old 11-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
farmall

Are the special lug nuts metric on the 88+ dually trucks?
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
mattybilt79

The later style center caps are held on by the plastic "lug nuts" that thread on to the steel lug nuts. Its just a cover. Your truck being an 89 all you need are the caps and lug nuts and put them on. To run the spikes I'm sure you have to modify some part of the cap to make it work. But if you like they way it looks go for it. I pulled Alcoa's and chrome wheels off my dually for flat black steelies and used lugs that were on the truck, big 1 1/16 motorhome acorn lug nuts.

The simulators should have small foam blocks on the back side to keep them from rattling usually long gone after all these years.

Last edited by mattybilt79; 11-15-2014 at 02:43 PM.
mattybilt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
bluex

My truck uses the 9/16-18 lug nuts. I did find the dual thread lugs for $35 a set of 32 on eBay though. The problem though is a nice set of gmc centers is over $100. I am not necessarily set on using spikes and I've already found 1" regular lug nut covers for like .89/each. That truck just had the basic setup I was looking for.

If someone wanted spikes I found a 15/16" to 33 mm adapter for the plastic push on style covers. With a little filing they would probably fit the 1" lugs an be good enough to hold them on with a little silicone that everyone uses on that style cover anyways.

Will a generic set of 16" trim rings work or is there a specific one for a dually wheel?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybilt79 View Post
The later style center caps are held on by the plastic "lug nuts" that thread on to the steel lug nuts. Its just a cover. Your truck being an 89 all you need are the caps and lug nuts and put them on. To run the spikes I'm sure you have to modify some part of the cap to make it work. But if you like they way it looks go for it. I pulled Alcoa's and chrome wheels off my dually for flat black steelies and used lugs that were on the truck, big 1 1/16 motorhome acorn lug nuts.

The simulators should have small foam blocks on the back side to keep them from rattling usually long gone after all these years.
Thanks for the tip on the foam. I'll try something like that next time I have them off. This truck does have two metric stud on the rear axle, one on each side for some reason. Not looking forward to fixing that since I apparently need a $50 socket to remove the hub nut. At that point I should probably just replace them all anyways....